Hardwood Refinishing

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone here have a company they've used and liked for hardwood refinishing? The new house we bought needs some work now that we've pulled up the carpets.

Also if you've had work done what did you pay per sq ft?

Thanks for any help.

While I'm at it, anyone here do this type or work, or work with gas lines? I want to run gas out to my shop building.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
My boyfriend and I redid his floor in his old house. It was time consuming but not difficult. Just depends on if you have the time to do it.

thecarl

Friend of mine helped me refinish a floor once. We just rented a floor sander from Aurora rents, sanded the floor down up to something like 600 grit, then re-finished it with some kind of clear coat (using a brush). It was over a decade ago so I don't remember the details but it wasn't to hard, got it done in a day.

Anthraxx

ive redone floors before too, id just do what carl is suggesting start low and end out high. its really like vaccuming only slower :p. just go with the grain and youll do alright, also maybe a small orbital for getting into corners or hard to reach areas. GL to ya if you still wanna find a company but i think the cost is going to be a lot higher.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Cost will definitely be higher ,but I also need patchwork because we are taking down walls, etc. Not just as simple as sanding and putting a new finish on it. Also owning a fish store, I don't have days off, so it would cost me a pretty penny to take even a day or 2 off from the store.

Br

Now I got a solution or I could say a proposal for you :) ... I'm sure everyone here are dreaming of being a fish store owner, that being said, we will watch your store for free so you can get some work done at home... we can do a little BBQ there so chances are lots of customers stopping by....everyone happy... very simple my friend :)

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Had a flooring company out on Thursday. Quoted 12.5k to refinish or lay new hardwood... More than I want to pay and from research that quote seems 2-3x as high as it should be. We are only talking 1000sqft of flooring.

I now think I may just buy an engineered hardwood, and try laying it myself. If it proves to be too difficult which I can't imagine, I can pay someone to install it.

Nick_87

I just had about 900 sq ft refinished and they replaced some bad spots for about $3500 but that was in california a couple of months ago. Do you already have hardwood or are you having it put in?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I have hardwoord already in, but they were trying to make it seem like it would be better to just put in brand new.