Hand sanitizers

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
A member on another forum posted that approximately 40 minutes after using hand sanitizer her son had his hands in the aquarium. The effects were internal bleeding, brain bleeds, and blindness. She lost most of her fish. Beware, hand sanitizer will kill.

Last edited:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Really? I use hand sanitizer all the time.... I’ve even used it in between tank cleanings when I needed to stop for a second to take care of other things in the house....

but I appreciate the warning. It will make me think twice about doing it in the future

sir_keith

Legendary Member
A member on another forum posted that approximately 40 minutes after using hand sanitizer her son had his hands in the aquarium. The effects were internal bleeding, brain bleeds, and blindness. She lost most of her fish. Beware, hand sanitizer will kill.

Seriously? That seems very hard to believe. Could you post a link to that?

Modest_Man

The alcohol in hand sanitizer evaporates off 15-30 seconds after you apply it.

And then after the fish died they did necropsies on the brains of aquarium fish? I am calling B.S.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The alcohol in hand sanitizer evaporates off 15-30 seconds after you apply it.

And then after the fish died they did necropsies on the brains of aquarium fish? I am calling B.S.

My thought is some additional ingredient/s would be the cause. Clove oil scent? Not sure about necropsies or how brain/internal bleed was determined. Or the kid just used the toilet and didn’t wash his fecal fingers and caused the ammonia to spike.

FishBeast

You guys are right. I doubt it’s the alcohol in the sanitizer. Fish will metabolize alcohol very much like we do. You’d need to dump a large amount of sanitizer in a tank to kill them. Otherwise they’ll just get a little buzzed. In fact I like to share my vodka with my fish from time to time just so we can relax together.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
My thought is some additional ingredient/s would be the cause. Clove oil scent? Not sure about necropsies or how brain/internal bleed was determined. Or the kid just used the toilet and didn’t wash his fecal fingers and caused the ammonia to spike.

You raise a good point- there is no direct evidence that the hand sanitizer was the culprit here. For the sake of argument, let's say the hand sanitizer was the problem. If so, it raises the question- which particular sanitizer was used? The OP states only that it was 'one of the sanitizers used in stores, so industrial type,' whatever that means. Do such things contain particularly toxic substances? Possibly. Can we ever really know the culprit? Probably not, as it may be a contaminant present in one of the listed ingredients. Whatever it was, it had to be extremely potent, because with the dilution factors involved in a 55 gallon tank, the presumptive toxin had to be active in pM or even fM amounts.

Bottom line here- wash your hands before you put them in your fish tanks; it's just common sense. Would you really put your hands in a tank after you've just applied after-shave lotion or perfume? Of course not. I very much doubt that this one instance indicates that most hand sanitizers are any more toxic to our fishes that any of a whole array of substances that we may get on our hands everyday. Not a difficult problem to solve- wash your hands! And keep your kids out of your fish tanks!

FishBeast

You raise a good point- there is no direct evidence that the hand sanitizer was the culprit here. For the sake of argument, let's say the hand sanitizer was the problem. If so, it raises the question- which particular sanitizer was used? The OP states only that it was 'one of the sanitizers used in stores, so industrial type,' whatever that means. Do such things contain particularly toxic substances? Possibly. Can we ever really know the culprit? Probably not, as it may be a contaminant present in one of the listed ingredients. Whatever it was, it had to be extremely potent, because with the dilution factors involved in a 55 gallon tank, the presumptive toxin had to be active in pM or even fM amounts.

Bottom line here- wash your hands before you put them in your fish tanks; it's just common sense. Would you really put your hands in a tank after you've just applied after-shave lotion or perfume? Of course not. I very much doubt that this one instance indicates that most hand sanitizers are any more toxic to our fishes that any of a whole array of substances that we may get on our hands everyday. Not a difficult problem to solve- wash your hands! And keep your kids out of your fish tanks!
Hear hear!! Hand washing solves sooo many issues haha