guess where i was today.

0207162011b.jpg 0207162012c.jpgI couldn't believe this crap. These silver dollars had no tails whatsoever. I almist lost it. And the poor Oscars..... I almost took everybody home but I dont have a qt big enough. Now I think I know what in gonna do with my 125... Wal-Mart is the most evil corporation in the world.

Sorry it's a cheap back up phone. In a word yes. The silver dollars have Almost no find on their tails and the angels have various missing fins. And the one oscar....... Well have you ever seen any zombie movies?

LeslieG

When I see a creature in that condition, my first instinct is to rescue, if I can. But then I'm supporting the company, who'll just go out and do it again to another poor creature. I go around and around and around.

Those fish probably arrive at the store in pretty good shape. If you buy them, they'll just order more, rinse repeat. I'd say taking those pictures and sending letters to management would be a good thing. I bet those stores just need a few employees that know what they're doing to make a fish section viable, but they probably can't keep steady, good employees. The sad thing is that the fish they end up selling probably most often end up in similar states in peoples' homes because it isn't like an uninformed store makes for an informed customer base.

I had a contractor fixing something at my house and he saw my tank. "Oh I used to keep an Oscar, a Bala Shark, and <insert some other buy small grow huge petco fish>, in a 29G tank. It was fine because they won't grow too large for whatever tank they're in. But, I was working a lot and didn't take the best care of them so they died over a period of months because I didn't feed them enough. I sold the tank. Your tank looks great!"

Ali

Sad! The wallyworld in Bellingham quit selling fish. You would think it should be nation wide.
Really? How long ago? The person I sold my 37 to added a ton of Walmart gouramis and destroyed the tank not more than a month or two back.

My understanding is that they don't even care for the fish, it's cheaper to just replace dead ones then hire and train an employee to maintain tanks. As much as you want to "rescue" these fish, that will just financially reward Walmart that will just restock the tank. I'm all for sharing these photos widely, and writing management. Maybe create an online petition?

Betty

Staff member
I didn't know that any of the stores still sold fish. The ones I've been to around here quit selling fish a long time ago. Only some supplies, food, etc.

JimmyZ

Really? How long ago? The person I sold my 37 to added a ton of Walmart gouramis and destroyed the tank not more than a month or two back.

My understanding is that they don't even care for the fish, it's cheaper to just replace dead ones then hire and train an employee to maintain tanks. As much as you want to "rescue" these fish, that will just financially reward Walmart that will just restock the tank. I'm all for sharing these photos widely, and writing management. Maybe create an online petition?

I am guessing 3 maybe 4 years ago. That being said I have not been in one in 2 years. My wife has but it's not to look at fish. LOL Pretty sure they are not selling them anymore up here though.

I think I will send the pics to corporate. I usually don't even go in the damn store but every where else was closed and I needed de-chlor. I seriously dislike everything Wal-Mart represents and will .it give them my money if I can avoid it. And this is yet another reason to shop at the smaller mom and pop type stores. Even if it costs more. I wont support a company that treats its animals like this.

Livebearer

The 2 Wally worlds I've been to on occasion have a fish wall there as well. Your typical live bearers, cichlids, tetra's, and zebra fish. most had a serious Ich out break as well... Any employee who works in their Garden Center, pet area is assigned to help a customer who might buy these sad looking fish. Please do send a complaint to their Corporate and tell them "I will go public" with my photo's IF they don't clean up their act, in any store that sells aquarium stock and keep these fish in decent shape for anyone who may buy them as most who shop there have no idea what a healthy fish should be like...