GT egglaying

Gryphon

Anyone know if its normal for a GT Juv female to lay eggs? I've had mine for about 4 months now, she is maybe 3 1/2 inches long. I thought she was a male until I woke up today to find what looks to be greenish-white-yellow eggs on t he side of a pot, right next to a hole she had dug out in the gravel.

Mikey

Gryphon said:
Anyone know if its normal for a GT Juv female to lay eggs? I've had mine for about 4 months now, she is maybe 3 1/2 inches long. I thought she was a male until I woke up today to find what looks to be greenish-white-yellow eggs on t he side of a pot, right next to a hole she had dug out in the gravel.
Yes it's normal. As you probably know they are relatively easy to breed and when they pair up, they make great parents. Weekly 1/3 partial water changes will help induce spawning. After laying their eggs the fry will hatch in three to four days. Both parents will guard the fry. Is there a male in the tank too?

Gryphon

No, no male unless she was getting pedo with the EBJD LOL

Should I clean the eggs out of the tank, or give the other inhabitants a chance to do it?

Gryphon

DSCI0023.jpg

DSCI0028.jpg

Gryphon

Do they look fertile? Looking in at them they are a tan color, not white...

Could end up with an interesting hybrid :alien: GT and EBJD :affraid: lol

Probably not though...but just thinking of what they could look like...ohhhh...

Mikey

I can't tell if they are fertile by looking at the photo, you'll just have to wait for a couple of days to find out! :)

I'm not a big fan of hybrids, but sometimes they do come out looking cool.

Like spy said, leave the eggs in there. If they hatch, you'll know that you have hybrids, if they don't, you should get that girl a male GT :)

Spyral

Funny, looking at it under magnification, some eggs are off-white, but some are brown. Some of those may be fertilized.

Gryphon

Well the thought was good while it lasted. Checked on the eggs this morning and they have a white fuzz growing on them.

Gryphon

Nah no real loss, I didn't get my hopes up on these lol

Should I go ahead and clean the eggs out? And in the future, should I leave them or remove them if she lays again to keep the aggression down?