GSAS Forum

Adonijah

So I signed up, Roy is refusing to reply to me so I gotta ask... Where/how do you sign up or register a GSAS forum name???!

Mikey

I don't think the forum there is very active. I think he posts here sometimes though, I don't know his screen-name.

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi Adonijah and Mikey,

Sorry guys, didn't mean for it to seem like I was ignoring anyone! I don't always hang out here (usually about once a week) at which time I read the posts that interest me and maybe do a post about upcoming GSAS activities. I am on the GSAS e-mail chat 'airstone' almost daily if you need to reach me.

Roy
(alias Seattle_Aquarist)

Betty

Staff member
On the GSAS website there is a link to the E-mail Forum (Airstone). I'm not sure if you are automatically subscribed to it when you become a member or if you need to click the link and subscribe. And yes it's pretty active at times.

Adonijah

I just visited the airstone link, at first it looked prehistoric in comparison to this forum. But I think I get it :D

So when you hear of people putting a huge tank on the gsas board, it's 9 times out of ten the airstone board?

Betty

Staff member
Adonijah said:
I just visited the airstone link, at first it looked prehistoric in comparison to this forum. But I think I get it :D
It's an email forum and if you subscribe, the posts (topics and replies) are sent to you in email form. On busy days it can really fill up your Inbox with topics that you might not be interested in. The subject of changing the forum to one more like this one comes up from time to time, but most members seem to want to keep it the way it is.

Pleco_Party

I was snooping threw this topic and ended up checking out the GSAS. It seems interesting. Other then the membership fee, is there anything else you need to join?

Nope and your membership will get you discounts at several LFS! Great group of people with tons of experience. You may have seen the posts all month so far of the meeting last night with Gary Lange as the featured speaker on Rainbows. It was a great presentation of his trips to Papau/New Guinae collecting the group and bringing them back to breed and share with the rest of the hobbiests in the US. The people in the GSAS really help those who need it and support this great hobby to the max....Ron

Pleco_Party

Oh yea I did read something about the rainbow speaker. I really wanted to go. This seems like a good thing. I will reset up my paypal account tonight and join. Thanks Ron

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi Everyone,

Ron, I believe that you are one of our newer members and I thank for that glowing endorsement!

This spring GSAS celebrated 40 years of promoting the aquarium hobby in the Northwest, and although it is primarily freshwater focused (Puget Sound Aquarium Society (PSAS) is saltwater focused) many of our members have both. Our members, several of which hang out here on WA Fishbox, have diverse interests such as Cichlids (African and SA), Killies, livebearers (including rare types), freshwater shrimp, goldfish, live foods, fish diseases, planted aquariums, ponds, nano's, and whatever else holds water! We are certainly not all 'experts' (some of us are just starting out) but we are all enthusiastic about our hobby!

GSAS is strongly supported by most of the leading aquarium/pet stores in the greater Seattle area. Their support, along with that of our members, has allowed us to invite some of the finest speakers in the hobby for our members and guests. In the last couple of years GSAS has hosted the following internationally known speakers for presentations; if you active in the hobby then some of these names may be familiar:
Ad Konings, Karen Randall, Dick Au, Ghanzanfar Ghori, Luis Navarro, Barbie Fiorentino, Tom Barr, Gary Lange. Almost all the presentations by the individuals listed have been recorded and are available to our members through our library which contains many additional videos, books, and literature.

Check us out when you get a chance!