Gryphons DIY 3D background

Gryphon

Alright, decided to start my own thread for this so I'm not hijacking iandraco's thread again.

This is a practice run for getting the hang of things for when I go to do the background in my 120. This is for my 29 gal freshwater tank.

Materials: Styrofoam sheet (Piece I had gotten had a silver foil on one side, and white sticker on the other side. I removed both before working.)
Cement (10lb bag)
Acrylic Paint (I went this way cause it was cheap, and the paint will be sealed under the epoxy so there should be no concerns.)
Epoxy Resin ( Parks Super Glaze )

Started by measuring the inside of my tank, knocked an inch off side and top for fitting and filtration purposes, and cut my sheet to size. I used a knife and my fingers to carve the styrofoam out the way I wanted it to look and then used a lighter to seal the loose styrofoam and to give it a more natural look. I decided I wanted a ledge cave to it and some protruding spots, I used toothpicks to hold the pieces in position while the silicone was applied and curing.

21b3n8g.jpg

Second phase was applying the cement. My first batch of cement ended up being too watery so I had to add more making a bigger batch than originally planned. So the first (and only) coat of cement ended up thick, but I like the way it turned out. I had to apply the cement in phases so I could get full coverage around the cave ledge.

2qddj77.jpg

So since today was sunny, I pulled it out onto the front porch to get some sunlight on it and help it cure. With all luck tomorrow I can start the painting and prep it for the epoxy resin. I'm planning on giving it a week to air cure before I install into my tank. As I now have the 30 hex I got the other day up and running, I'm going to go ahead and just silicone it into the back while my fish hang out in the hex tank. I'll update later when I get it painted and sealed.

ndvms.jpg

Gryphon

Today is painting day! I'll update with pics once we're done.

Also on a side note, I'm going to putting up another DIY thread probably this weekend on converting a defective light into a Cold Cathode light!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Looking good, cant wait to see the final product.

Gryphon

OMG this background is coming out awesome. My awesome wife is doing the painting and WOW! And thats just using brown, black, green and gray. We're picking up a few more colors either tonight or tomorrow to finish it up. I can't wait to show you all!

Gryphon

Ok sorry for the wait, I was wanting to get a finished painting pic, but we didn't have the other colors we wanted, and FM and Kmart didn't have the paint needed. Wally world here I come!

Pictures are of different sections, I wanted to get close ups to show the detail. This background looks awesome, wish I had a better camera than my phone!

34q1wle.jpg

33jmosx.jpg

24l26a8.jpg

rw8hw4.jpg

Gryphon

Lets see, pulling this mostly as web prices, may differ where you go

Styrofoam: $9 (gotta check this, website says $8 something, I think I paid less)
Cement: $2.06
Acrylic paint: Roughly $5-$6 (7-2 oz. colors, 1 16 oz.)
Brushes: $5
Silicone: $3
Parks Super Glaze: $24.98 (picking this up Friday.)

So estimated total of $50 give or take a couple bucks. My wife has the gift apparently when it comes to painting the background. Now she has ideas for ones she wants to do even if they don't go into a tank! Not to mention she threw out the idea of making some to sell. The background isn't quite finished yet, I'm picking up some red, yellow, blue and white paint tomorrow from wal-mart so the wife can add some flowers to the wall. Once the painting is done I still have to apply the epoxy resin.

Also as a side project to go along with this I am doing a similar add-on to my round airstone. I silicone'd styrofoam around it to form the base of what eventually (and hopefully, fingers crossed!) will come out as a stump.

Anthraxx

what size tank is the background for? it seems to me like you might have been able to find one premade for the same price (your girl clearly has artistic abilities so i can see why youd go the home-made route tho) i personally lack that kinda talent so i just prebought mine lol. either way im loving how thats coming out.

Gryphon

This is going in my 29 gal. As for premade vs DIY build, some of the material I bought are good towards the next one I make. So that brings down the cost a bit.

Second advantage is I can design it to look how I want it, versus trying to find one I like in the store or online.

Gryphon

Oh I already have ideas lined up. A Volcanic background, a big Ohio State block O, World of Warcraft themed, Super Mario themed...I have more ideas than I have tanks to build them in!

Gryphon

Update! Getting ready to epoxy tomorrow tomorrow, wife finished painting, then accidentally broke one corner off so we had to silicone it back into place, and touch up the paint. The pictures do not do this background justice cause my phone sucks.

pBG1.jpg

pbg2.jpg

pbg3.jpg

pbg5.jpg

pbg6.jpg

pbg7.jpg

Gryphon

Disaster has struck! I haven't had a chance last few days to do the epoxy, I was planning on doing it tomorrow. Good thing I hadn't done it yet, because my father-in-law accidentally knocked it off the table and broke it into 5 pieces! :affraid:

We tried to silicone the pieces back together, should it not hold well enough Its back to square one again

Gryphon

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the technology. Better than it was before. Better...stronger...faster!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
And for less than six million dollars? :D (Wow, Six Million Dollar Man reference really dates me!)