Greets peeps

dwarfpike

Wow, great looking tank!!!

Yeah, blue rams can be tricky. Mostly it's finding healthy ones, the asian fish farm stock isn't the best quality, and then hormoned on top of that. I honestly most likely won't keep them again unless I can get wild stock once more.

Don't feel bad about their parenting skills, blue rams have a habit of not being the best cichlid at taking care of business. But I always like to give them time, some get it right.

Temp is another issue, I always had issues when I kept them in too cool of water. Most people have the best results in 84F + water. I guess in nature their ponds range up to 90F from what I've read about collection data.

dwarfpike: Thanks! Yeah, that's the problem with blue rams, is finding ones that aren't injected with hormones, or inbred like crazy. I have heard stories of blue rams eating their eggs until about the 10th time, so I don't have any high hopes for my breeding pair. It's gotten to the point where I just like seeing them swim together in the tank, and if they lay eggs, then yay, free food for the other tankmates! Hahaha :D

Wow, those temps would throw off my white clouds and shrimp, I think. Good to know though, at least I won't be to pressed on wanting them to lay eggs and have them hatch. Hahaha!! Really good info!

CrazedAce

dwarfpike said:
BillHN said:
Sup sup sup
Sup! Nice av btw. Despite being a cichlid guy, I am a closet labyrinth (wild bettas, chocolate gouramis) and badis guy too.

cichlid-gal said:
:welcome!: .... dwarf cichlids ROCK THE CASBAH!
Indeed they do!!! Big ones are good too, but when you are short on space, it's fun to watch a little 3" cichlid flare and glassbang.
Welcome to the forum! Enjoy the talks and attend the meetings for that extra special feeling. Lol

I am interested about badis, have you bred them? I've owned bettas since day one, as well as gold and blue gouramis, labryinth fish are pretty epic. I have succeeded in breeding all, though am sad to say I suck at breeding the bettas. :(

I'm CrazedAce, I ramble.

dwarfpike

I did get eggs ... but this when I was in high school, way way ... way before microworms were commonly available and I couldn't talk the parents into setting up a tank outside to culture infusoria for them. I don't think there was even frozen baby brine at the time, but the fry are too small for baby brine anyway.

Yes, do please visit us whenever you get a chance to pass through Edmonds! :D Would be nice to talk more about Blue Rams in person with you :)

dwarfpike

Yeah, blue rams are one of the exceptions I have when it comes to leaving the eggs with the parents. If I want to raise them, I just pull the rock.