Got a Firemouth from Petco...

LuminousAphid

I know it was probably a mistake, especially since all the others in the tank were super skinny, but saw the one which looked pretty healthy and decided $3 made it worth a try. I don't have anything super expensive in the tank I put her in which can get sick and die, so I am not too worried about that, although my next setup is def. going to be a quarantine tank.

Anyway, she has been settling in for a few days now, and I finally see she is exploring above the plants for the first time as I watch from across the room. She tends to hide when I get near the tank, and so I haven't been able to see if she is eating or not, but I have a feeling not. She doesn't look super sunken-bellied, in face she looks like she may have eaten something yesterday even, belly looks pretty full.

Just wondering, is this typically a more she cichlid when kept singly? I don't really want to breed them, because there are plenty of them around and it's kind of irresponsible (unless someone can use the fry for food purposes, I would be down with that I guess). So i would prefer to just have 1, any suggestions on making her feel more comfortable? should I get some more seryu stone to make a litle cave area? you an't even see the flat stones I have in there now, really.

Sorry for the low quality pics, I broke my camera recently... really thinking about getting the new Olympus tough, and then I could shoot pics from under water- and in fish tanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0819small.jpg
    IMAG0819small.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMAG0821crop.jpg
    IMAG0821crop.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 61
A

Anonymous

The photos are okay! I've never housed this fish but if it's like many other species it may take a bit for it to warm up. Eventually it'll be up front waiting to be fed I am sure. Expecially if you are feeding blood worms and black worms as a snack.

Eventually the fish would appreciate a larger tank to roam in :)