Good Water or Bad Water

Br

Good Water or Bad Water

Hello Everyone,
I don't know if any of you going through where you have your water sitting in an empty tank for over a year with out any heat or water flow. I'm having my tank almost full of water for a year now and would like to know if the water is still good. I have noticed its kind of dirty with a thin layer on top and offcouse they should be drained out.... My question is do I have to drain the whole tank or just part of it.... Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

fishman09

Re: Good Water or Bad Water

why even think about using it? i would drain the whole tank then srub the tank clean then start entirely with new water. you never know what kind of stuff got in there after a year of sitting...

Br

Thank you! I was being lazy I guess :) ....Kind of hoping that I have to drain just part of it... too busy with other projects that's why I don't have any fish in there and been sitting for over a year, plus it's about 500 gal of water and will take hours to drain...and the cleaning on top of that :( ...hope I will have sometimes this coming holidays to get some work done and might thinking of getting some fish to start out in the late Summer...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

Thats just nasty! Clean it! :joker:

Fish Addict

Go to home depot or ace and buy the biggest flexible tubing that they have a 2"-3" should help drain it a hell of alot faster... I bought a 1" to drain my 100 because 1/2" took to long for me... I am impatient when it comes to draining tanks

Br

Thank you guys for all your suggestions. It'll be my project for this coming holidays.... I just tried to open the lid and see how bad it is and it was smell kind of - well you know...not a good thing :) ........ hope my family will not try to convince me for a long road trip to Portland this weekend....

sandnuka

stale water that sits like that is a crazy breeding ground for harmful bacterias... definetly not usable.... I wouldnt even trust the decor... now if you had a filter circulating the water constantly, that might be a different story.... but stale water with no air passing thru it, bad stuff... good luck.

bassetman

Get a pump or a large diameter siphon to speed things up.do not use the water with fish....maybe with carp.