Good places to volunteer?

LuminousAphid

Hey guys,

I have been thinking about doing volunteer work for a while now, and have even taken the step to go to an orientation at PAWS for their volunteers, but I have 1 problem: I don't really want to commit to a certain time each week, because I don't expect my schedule to be very consistent for the foreseeable future. I am looking for a new job now, so having a certain time I need off each week just isn't an option. I need to have open availability for now.

Do any of you volunteer or know of places to volunteer where there isn't such a strict time commitment? I don't mind what the amount of time is, but I really can't set aside a certain day or time right now, I need something more flexible. This might be just asking too much; I can certainly understand why places would want a certain time commitment, so that they have at least some predictability for how many volunteers they can expect on a given day, and maybe they all run that way.

Any volunteer work which is more flexible?

MorganEA

you could always foster animals in your home :D I bottle feed kittens through the king county animal shelter.

LuminousAphid

Cool, thanks Spyral, that looks interesting and it might be nice to get away from the suburbs a few times a month. And sorry about the Kentucky comment the other day, it was uncalled for :(

Morgan, that would be something I would love to do, but right now I don't have my own place where I can make that call, and also the place where I'm staying is pretty full on animals: 2 large dogs and 3 cats, plus a bunch of chickens and now fish all over the place! That actually reminded me of another place I should get in touch with though, I think it's called Community Cat Coalition, they do spay/neuter of feral cats and some adoptions.

Thanks!

MRTom

Is PAWS still looking for web team volunteers? As a web team volunteer a few years ago, I was able to adjust my schedule and come in when I had the time for it. Since you're kind of a "ghost" you don't have to show up at the same time every week. And if you have your own camera you don't have to worry about having to share the Paws camera with everyone else.

That said, I wonder if there are fish related volunteer things I could do. If it weren't so shift oriented, I'd totally be spending all my free time at the seattle aquarium as a volunteer...

And as I was thinking about that, I managed to answer my own question:
pugetsoundkeeper.org has a cleanup events calendar that may be more of what you are looking for.

Found them on the UW marine bio volunteer/intern page. There is a seal babysitting org in there that looks really cool too!