Giving the "Betta Squeeze" to my fish

CrazedAce

Giving the "Betta Squeeze" to my fish

So I am trying to breed a certain male betta with females, but they are too young to know how to breed and my male is so impatient, that after a few times of unsuccessful squeezing, he begins to nip and chase the females away. He kills them this way, inflicting pain, stress, and ultimately disease and death.

Is it possible to squeeze the eggs out of the female? I know they enjoy being squeezed as much as a cow loves to be milked, so I was wondering if it would be possible? And could I do the same thing with the male, then just put the milt and eggs together? Seems like it would be alot easier and in the long run, less stressful for both fish.

And I'm probably just looking at fish as more as livestock rather than something that lives in a tank.

A

Anonymous

Re: Giving the "Betta Squeeze" to my fish

I'm not sure if you could do that or not. sounds like it would be a good expierence to know how though. don't just pukk the fish out of the tank and squeeze it to death :D

binbin9

Squeezing the females is one thing but milking the male is a whole other story. You'll probably squeeze his guts out before anything else.

The male is such a huge factor to raising up the fry successfully.

Hatching artificially without a bubble nest can result in more problems and frustrations. at various stages your hit with many factors fighting against your success.

Incubating eggs - Fungus can overwhelm a whole batch
Once they Hatch - The father fish is there constantly picking up the fry from the bottom and spitting them back to the bubble nest. It's this early stage that helps them catch their first breath and develop the swim bladder. If the bladder isnt developed you get these gimpy fry that kinda jerk their way through the tank and it looks pretty sad.

I'd give it a little patience and they'll eventually get it.

CrazedAce

binbin9 said:
Squeezing the females is one thing but milking the male is a whole other story. You'll probably squeeze his guts out before anything else.

The male is such a huge factor to raising up the fry successfully.

Hatching artificially without a bubble nest can result in more problems and frustrations. at various stages your hit with many factors fighting against your success.

Incubating eggs - Fungus can overwhelm a whole batch
Once they Hatch - The father fish is there constantly picking up the fry from the bottom and spitting them back to the bubble nest. It's this early stage that helps them catch their first breath and develop the swim bladder. If the bladder isnt developed you get these gimpy fry that kinda jerk their way through the tank and it looks pretty sad.

I'd give it a little patience and they'll eventually get it.
A little patience... I've had the pair divided in a 5gal for over a month now, it has nothing to do with patience on my behalf. I could leave them in there for a year and he will still be impatient with her and stress her out drastically. I've researched others who have tried stuff like this, though I've never found someone who has squeezed the fish, usually its just people who take the eggs from the nest and do experiments that result in the death of the fry. I would be using an egg tumbler, however, to increase survival rate and remove the chance of the male eating the eggs/fry like he's done before.

Although, if its not possible to squeeze the fish, then I guess everything above is moot. :|

binbin9

whats worked for me in the pass is to keep the pair side by side for about a week, divided and only letting them see each other for a little bit of time each day. During this period I fatten them up.

Once they are primed I put them in the breeding tank with her in a glass chimney. Once his bubble nest is ready. I release her in the evening. 80% of the time they will breed by the next morning.

CrazedAce

I can get them to breed and produce eggs, I am just plagued with a sick female afterwards. Right now the male is busy tending to eggs, and the female is busy trying to stay alive on her own side. Bettas are just hard to get good survival rates with. :(

Squirmteben

I've heard you're supposed to immediately remove the female after the spawn, because they are bad mothers and will eat the eggs/fry or fight the male.

binbin9

Yes as soon as he chases her away remove her to another tank.or else he will be to busy being aggressive to her vs tending to the eggs

CrazedAce

He is aggressive towards her before he can even squeeze her. If she survives, she should know what to do next time, the male is just impatient and cocky. This is his 3rd female so far.

Fish rape. :(

attachment.php

A

Anonymous

........... :affraid:

A

Anonymous

mine or poke's? I'm just gonna guess poke's like I said .......... :affraid: