Getting the floor wet again!

Doza

So ive been poking my head in every once in a while checking things out every once and a while on here but i must say i will be much more active once again!
here I am stable and feeling the urge again!! lol
Keeping it to 2 tanks which will be slowly being set up in the coming months!
I sold my 155 bowfront setup i had a little while ago so that will not be getting setup.
Im gunna keep it to 2 tanks! My room mate really was wanted to have a saltwater tank so with lots of help from me and hopefully some financial assistance on his part we will have a salt water tank up! Im also gunna be setting up my 125 gallon long that I had which is acting as a divider for the living room and the entry way! Its going to look BA! I will take pics sometime soon when im done doing some refinish work on the stand and fab work on the canopy..

Im trying to keep budget on the down low on the 125 gallon as most of the fish funds will be getting sucked into the saltwater tank.
With that in mind im not sure in what i should keep in the 125 gallon long! You will be able to see in from both sides of the tank and be able to look through it into the front room from the front door! So im not sure if a mbuna tank would be the best for that being there will be a big rock pile centered in the middle of the tank! Even tho having mbunas is what im gravitating to wanting to keep again and i have all the rock and substrate to keep them and would be saving money in that regards and yet i see myself spending alot more money in fish buying Mbunas to stock it unless i can get a good deal!
I was almost thinking a large community tank with flashy schooling fish! Like a hundred or so neon tetras with some corys and albino britlenoses and what not Maybe a nice strain of guppy and try planting it! I have a co2 tank, and I have a 800 watt fixture for light if i ever end up needing that much light!

The saltwater is going to be a small 3 foot wide twin 40 breeder stack with a sump hopefully if i can get a hold of the sump with similar dimensions! Im gonna build the stand.. It will be a 40B display Hopefully drilled and will dump into the 2nd 40B below it which will be a refugium and that will then dump into the sump and returned to the top! Looking at a vorteck for a circulation pump. Light will be a existing 250 watt de Hqi halide light that i have for the display tank!

Any ideas and suggestions for either setups would be great!
I will be posting a wanted listed sometime here soon!
Thanks guys!

larry.beck

Welcome back to the obsession!

If you don't go with cichlids, a planted tank with schooling fish would be pretty cool. Something like guppies in that big of a tank doesn't seem particularly compelling to me.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
With the 125g being such a focus tank I would go for simplicity with the tank itself nice sand/gravel with a large piece of driftwood and some simple plantings (plastic would be ok-just not cheap looking ones) maybe a few larger stones to help anchor the look.

A large fish to focus on would be nice, a SA/CA cichlid of some type with some smaller ones as a support team. A school of Australian rainbows to go with or Congo Tetras. Could go with larger schooling fish like silver dollars. Funny how the silver dollars always get recognized first in my tank. People think they are piranha, so an interesting conversation always follows.

Doza

I like simplicity and yet te idea of not using the only freshwater tank to its full potential is upsetting! I cant have many tanks up either! lol I like the rainbow suggestion tho! ive always liked the bosemani rainbow

Doza

How ridiculous would it be to have a colony or colonies of the dwarf Tanganyikan cichlids?? Idk what i would use the upper most tank space tho!! lol

Doza

Not sure exactly what i think about the cyps. Lol And they arent exactly readily available are they?

larry.beck

True, not the easiest to find. I'll have to add to my colony in the future, and there are a few others who do/have raised them locally (different species than mine).

Doza

I do like the tang. sand sifters and a variety of goby as well from tang. I forgot the species of the goby tho!

sandnuka

I was thinkin of another group buy thing possibily soon..... those always seem to go well... and i love the guy we have been using (reserve stock cichlid) awesome variety of tang

Doza

Yea i wouldnt be up for reserve stock! they hardly have anything for Lake malawi and nothing i like i could keep with the mbuna!

Doza

Daves would be more of who id be looking at but then again most all the fish are close to adult sizes and i wouldnt be too comfortable having them with 1-2inch fry!
Now if it was during the summer when they are more likely to have wild caughts in that would be great! And by then the fry should be at a descent size i would think.

larry.beck

Doza - just a heads up - most anything you might get from me WILL NOT be fry. In fact, I'm having to grow out what I received from Dave's just to go in my grow-out tanks. :lol:

Doza

so how big are they ranging then?? Thats good to hear!! Goblues i am looking at are 3/4-1!!

you must not be getting wild then!! What are you getting!! Daves list isnt that appetizing atm!!
MMMmmm Mbuna!! :p

larry.beck

Depends on what you go with, bot there are plenty of big (2-3") labs and chipokae's. I forget what the other species you wanted was off the top of my head. The demasoni are smaller, but fine to go in with full-sized mbuna.

Doza

So Preatty much a bunch of blue and yellow!!! lol Ill be interested in some P. Saulosi if anyone chimes in!!!