Get your pics in for October's POTM!

A

Anonymous

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Sidekicking, it says they didn't have a contest all summer. I know they have been having a hard time getting enough pictures to even have a contest. So add one of yours and help the contest along! :)
+1

Betty

Staff member
The winner for June's contest was never acknowledged -- Sidekicking, was that your photo? The really pretty saltwater fish?

It's not just difficult getting entries, there really doesn't seem to be much interest in voting in these contests either. Looking back at the last three, 40 voted in one, 35 in the one before that, and 14 in the year end one. :roll:

I used to set up the photo contest on a small forum and it was the same thing there. A month of asking, reminding, begging for entries and then only a handful of votes.

Like Larry said, I'd like to see pictures from new members. I've sent in about everything I have in past contests.

Mikey, if you have two photos, I think that's enough for a contest! :spoton:

A

Anonymous

Only 40 votes? That's a pretty good number as far as I'm concerned. We are a local fish forum. 20 "fish people" voting on who took the best shot of there prized fish is more then satisfying in my eyes. Its not like we are the facebook. There's just not that many of us. We are a "select" group of people. And for those of us who are active in the forum, and those of us who have gone from super active, to completely inactive, and back to active again. It is nice to see its still kicking along nicely. I have a responsibility here to "moderate". And I went "inactive" for about 5 months. Although I checked in frequently as a guest reading posts and what not, I dident log in. But when I came back and started activly posting and upholding my responsibility again. It was with open arms I was received. Because we are "select" people who share a strong passion for fish keeping. And not many others in the rest of the "mundane" world, understand how we can justify the time and money consuming hobby we are all so strongly tied into. I don't even know where I was going with this I'm just in the mood to rant.... sorry... oh yea and +1 to the 2 pics is enough to hold a contest.

Happy fish keeping.

A

Anonymous

+1 to new people putting up there pics.... I should start a thread for people who have been here less then 6 months to encourage them to post pics.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
If we had prizes, I bet we would see a ton more activity here. Even if it were a Fishbox bumper sticker!

A

Anonymous

I think having my fish on the banner with as many daily visitor as we get is a pretty cool prize. But that's just me.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
How about the winning photo done up on a mouse pad for the winner? That would be cool!

The banner thing might be interesting. What if the winners fish were the banner for that month?

sounguru

Prizes would be a cool idea but to get those we would have to have more traffic or some angle to get them donated.

Might talk to local LFS and see if they would like to give a $20 store credit or something similar as a prize.....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just noticed that the banner pic looks like the April picture winner... Was this part of the prize, besides bragging rights?

A

Anonymous

I was talking about the banner at the top of the page. The prize that is already there. Lol. I think we tried prizes a while back, don't know how it went but it was tried. Maybee someone else can chime in on this and refresh my memory. Would be fun. Might be hard to get prizes because this is a free forum. I like the idea, maybe something cool can come of it. Or maybe a big prize for the end of the year winner instead.

sidekicking

quote="fish_n_vw"]
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Sidekicking, it says they didn't have a contest all summer. I know they have been having a hard time getting enough pictures to even have a contest. So add one of yours and help the contest along! :)
+1[/quote]

Shorty I did add one of my photos, back in june and also past months since we started the contest its always off and on. That's why I wont bother anymore

Betty said:
The winner for June's contest was never acknowledged -- Sidekicking, was that your photo? The really pretty saltwater fish?
and yes Betty that is my picture
its a flame angel fish
saltwater

VsKitchen

I think the prizes might be a little impractical right now, though a very fun idea. I'd like to second the idea of putting the winning fish on a banner for the site. Talk about instant gratification/satisfaction everytime you log on to the site. :)

A

Anonymous

@ sidekicking: pity you won't enter anymore, I would love to see more of that flame angel.

sidekicking

All this ideas about prizes and stuff have been already discuss
Sandnuka(joe) was the one that was in charge of prizes, I think he sent out two prizes and that was the last of that

Betty

Staff member
fish_n_vw said:
Only 40 votes? That's a pretty good number as far as I'm concerned. We are a local fish forum. 20 "fish people" voting on who took the best shot of there prized fish is more then satisfying in my eyes. Its not like we are the facebook. There's just not that many of us. We are a "select" group of people. And for those of us who are active in the forum, and those of us who have gone from super active, to completely inactive, and back to active again. It is nice to see its still kicking along nicely. I have a responsibility here to "moderate". And I went "inactive" for about 5 months. Although I checked in frequently as a guest reading posts and what not, I dident log in. But when I came back and started activly posting and upholding my responsibility again. It was with open arms I was received. Because we are "select" people who share a strong passion for fish keeping. And not many others in the rest of the "mundane" world, understand how we can justify the time and money consuming hobby we are all so strongly tied into. I don't even know where I was going with this I'm just in the mood to rant.... sorry... oh yea and +1 to the 2 pics is enough to hold a contest.

Happy fish keeping.
You're right -- 40 votes isn't a bad number. :D (I had looked at the active members list and saw that many more log in over a period of a few days than ever vote in the contests each month. That's why I thought there wasn't much interest in the contest.)

Anyway, I'm glad there are enough now. Looking forward to the photos.

A

Anonymous

Absolutly, I like seeing your africans betty, dident yyou win at some point with a rusty? Duch a cool fish. Your fish make me want to try my hands at a african tank.