Geophagus tankmates

cjag

Hey, for any of you who have kept Geos, specifically tapajos, what have you kept them with before? I want to keep four in my 75 as a centerpiece and hopefully have some other schooling fish as well. Maybe even a peacock eel. Ignoring bioload, I'm asking in terms of space and compatibility as I will be filtering with an established Aquaclear 110 and 70 and a large sponge filter. Thoughts?

Madness

Staff member
Hey, for any of you who have kept Geos, specifically tapajos, what have you kept them with before? I want to keep four in my 75 as a centerpiece and hopefully have some other schooling fish as well. Maybe even a peacock eel. Ignoring bioload, I'm asking in terms of space and compatibility as I will be filtering with an established Aquaclear 110 and 70 and a large sponge filter. Thoughts?
Plecos. Tapajos are SA and prefer the lower ph, which is ideal for them and their SA compadres.

cjag

Plecos. Tapajos are SA and prefer the lower ph, which is ideal for them and their SA compadres.
Oh very true. I would have to research some cool kinds as I dont really know any besides Ancistrus and the "common" monster plecos. Do you know of any other SA catfish I could do besides corydoras?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Oh very true. I would have to research some cool kinds as I dont really know any besides Ancistrus and the "common" monster plecos. Do you know of any other SA catfish I could do besides corydoras?

You came to the right place. I know almost nothing about them, but this Board is Pleco heaven. ;)

cjag

My tapajo are in with sev's, sd, cory's, flagtail porthole cats, and BNP's. I think my trio is 1 male/2 female. I would recommend odd numbers as they are more visually appealing, feng shwa
View attachment 7301
Oh very nice! What are sd? I would probably have to start with a big group of juvies then unless I can find someone with a sexed trio. Or I can just get a group of five. What size tank is that?

I like the look of those porthole cats. I'll have to look into them more. Thanks for the reply.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Oh very nice! What are sd? I would probably have to start with a big group of juvies then unless I can find someone with a sexed trio. Or I can just get a group of five. What size tank is that?

I like the look of those porthole cats. I'll have to look into them more. Thanks for the reply.

SD= Silver dollars
220g
I got lucky. Bought 1 then went back a week or so later and there were only 2 available. The smaller are probably still to small to sex but they act like females.
My portholes came from the Fish Store in Seattle.