Geophagus sp.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Decided to start a thread for my Geophagus. I currently have 3 redheads and 3 brasiliensis.
I have a lead on some redhead fry that a hobbyist is giving away. I'm hoping to pick up 24 to grow out and choose from.
PXL_20210109_021802818~2.jpg PXL_20201225_200549367~2.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I'm getting to watch the G. Brasiliensis spats. All 3 have black fringe on their lower fins and are gill flairing at each other.
PXL_20210211_161531923~2.jpg PXL_20210211_161534750.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Wow, those fry look smaller than when I got my RTM’s. What is the eventual goal? Male to Female ratio? Plans to breed them yourself?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Are Brasiliensis a schooling type or better solo? They sure are coloring up nicely.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
...one Brasiliensis doesn't display the black spot on either side. There is a lot of flairing of gills and postering between the 3...
Turning down the lateral spot and the eye bar is a signal; it means 'I am not a threat to you.'

Are Brasiliensis a schooling type or better solo? They sure are coloring up nicely.
Geo's are such a diverse group that it is difficult to make broad generalizations, but most Geo's are social fishes in the wild, and do much better when kept in groups. Geo's tend to languish when kept alone.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Turning down the lateral spot and the eye bar is a signal; it means 'I am not a threat to you.'
Which I only see them doing when they are gill flairing and full fin flashing too.
Apparently, these guys mature while fairly small so they are becoming territorial. Being pit spawners the largest has cleared a pit. There is some dispute over this spot amongst them.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Which I only see them doing when they are gill flairing and full fin flashing too.
Apparently, these guys mature while fairly small so they are becoming territorial. Being pit spawners the largest has cleared a pit. There is some dispute over this spot amongst them.
The pictures don’t do them justice! I was in awe of their colors when I saw them yesterday. Absolutely beautiful