~~~General Meds To Have On Hand~~~

Wolf-Keeper1

Not sure is this was already addressed but what are some good meds to have on hand at all times. I k ow the aquarium salt should be a must. But what else? I had a pictus get the crap beat out of it the other day, luckily Shua was on the line to help. Anyway just curious as to what you all have to say. Oh and if you list something can you please also list what it treats. Remember I am new to taking care of fish seriously.

A

Anonymous

For me, I tend to keep a few percoset, some vicodin, a couple of xanax and a few jars of ether.

A

Anonymous

Oh wait, you meant for fish..lol..my bad. Melafix, Pimafix, Rid Ich, some Epsom salts and some tetracyclin powder.

A

Anonymous

Wolf-Keeper1 said:
Spyral said:
Oh wait, you meant for fish..lol..my bad. Melafix, Pimafix, Rid Ich, some Epsom salts and some tetracyclin powder.
cool. Is this a basic cure-all list?
I'm sure others will chime in, but it has served me well for a few years now.

Ashley

Tetracycline powder for medicated feeding. I've used it with tuna from the grocery store. Mix it with the powder and fish love it. It will help cure internal infections. (ie. a big wound that will effect the fishes internals)

Prazi pro- For worms and all that good stuff

Salt- For minor cuts and scrapes that you want to heal faster.

Have also used melafix for cloudy eye/pop eye

Ash-Rayne

Spyral said:
For me, I tend to keep a few percoset, some vicodin, a couple of xanax and a few jars of ether.
OMG! I swear I didn't see this before I made my comment on the POTM thread. Seriously.

Anyways...I agree with some of what Spyral recommend. Melafix for injured fish to aid healing and prevent infection (great to have on-hand for bettas) also used for fin rot & other bacterial infections, PimaFix for treatment of fungus, Aquarisol for treatment of common parasites and velvet disease, and of course aquarium salt. Those effectively cover just about any problem you may have with most fish.

alexmuw

I have a 100 tab dispenser of Parasite Clear from Jungle Labs.

Great stuff for any parasitic infections.

$25 for Drsfostersmith

hbluehunter

Me too, i agree with all the above.. I usually keep Prazi, Melafix, Pimafix, Metro, and of course good ole salt.. Oh yea and a needle, i was told i should have one because i might have to inject one of my rays sometime.. and thank god i never had too..

hbluehunter

When I had a fresh imported marble that wouldn't eat and was losing weight quick, I talked to a few friends and Dave too and they said sometimes you have to inject them with meds to kill internal parasites if they won't eat food injected with meds.. But the ray died before I even go the meds and needle.. :( so now I keep them on hand.

hbluehunter

At first I thought they were all kidding with me, and the more people I asked they all told me just pull them out and put a towel over the tail and you're good to go.. Oh yea and best if you got a second person to help too.. The bad thing is I only know like 2 people that might be crazy enough to hold the tail towel or not.

dkpate

I keep Melafix and Pimafix (by far my fave meds, since they don't kill the bio-filter), Ich Attack, (since it's okay for inverts) and aquarium salt.