Fuzz on driftwood...please help!

jenreuter

Can someone please help me out? I have a few pieces of driftwood in a 55 gallon, however, one of the pieces has small fuzz spots on it. They seemed to pop up out of nowhere. I have taken it out and scrubbed it a couple times and they won't seen to go away. This particular piece has been in the tank for about a month and was used in other tanks prior to that with no issues. Not sure if it is a fungus, mold, or neither. I'm concerned because recently some of my angels have been dying for no apparent reason. Water parameters are normal and everyone is acting and eating fine. Any adive? Has anyone delt with this before?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The type of wood used also would be helpful. Each type seems to have its own quirks. I have Manzanita and it is known to secrete a white slime when you fist start the sinking process. It does not hurt the fish at all but it is disturbing if you dont know what it is.

jenreuter

The fuzz is white. I am not sure what type of wood it is. All I know is that it is a piece that was found in eastern washington. I just find it weird that it started out of nowhere and that it is only on the one piece of driftwood.

jenreuter

There is no bark. I just came home and found another angel dead:( How is it that all my angel fish are dying, yet the other fish are fine. I have a couple little corys, a bristlenose pleco, two clown loaches, 1 german blue ram, and 1 dwarf guarmi. This is so frustrating. It is my first time keeping angels. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. Are they really sensitive?