From the South End..

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Just checking in. I keep African Cichlids, specifically Frontosa Kavala. I have a little colony of 9 right now, but will be expanding very soon.

A

Anonymous

CrashSmAshley said:
Welcome to WFB! Do you have any pics? We're all kind of fond of pic spam here :p
This is my new Frontosa colony, I am growing them out in a 55 gallon. I will be cycling out the males over the next few years and adding more fish until I get an all female colony of about 15. Then I will move them to a 280 gallon colony tank and add a full grown wild caught male and have a breeding colony. It takes a long time and a lot of patience to develop a Frontosa colony. These particular guys are Kavala, my favorite fish. Right now there are 8 juveniles and one very young female adult and my pleco. She is a left over from my old African Cichlid tank. I really wanted to do a Frontosa colony so I took an opportunity to give all 30 of my other Africans to a friend and started the colony.

5c430cf1.jpg

f5173c5b.jpg

fd47b027.jpg

341352c2.jpg

3 new juveniles being added last night from A Place for Pets

e10227a0.jpg

Here is a great write up on Frontosa, I used it as a reference for my colony. Everything from decor to the weeding out of males.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c_frontosa.php

I'll post more when I take some more pictures.

sandnuka

Hey hey Fellow front lover!! kavala are gorgeous fish! why did you choose that variant? The colony looks great, very healthy, colors are beautiful, and love the tank itself, substrate, etc.
I know a couple great resources to get WC fronts too... I have never tried it your way though... read too much about adding any fish to an existing colony, alpha, small guys, male or female is a big mistake and death will occur. you obviously have a different source of information about it though.... I hope it all works out for ya.

gobluecichlids

sandnuka said:
Hey hey Fellow front lover!! kavala are gorgeous fish! why did you choose that variant? The colony looks great, very healthy, colors are beautiful, and love the tank itself, substrate, etc.
I know a couple great resources to get WC fronts too... I have never tried it your way though... read too much about adding any fish to an existing colony, alpha, small guys, male or female is a big mistake and death will occur. you obviously have a different source of information about it though.... I hope it all works out for ya.
I get my wilds from an importer in Oakland CA.. his website is http://www.aquaticteknology.com/

it's only a 3 hr direct plane flight via southwest cargo.

I have another source back in Michigan, that breeds up to 21 different species.

sandnuka

you have two profiles??? So youve done this before with introducing a WC later in a existing colony??? You made it sound like you havent done that yet??? anyway, did you get your kavala from the same breeder down there??? I rarely here of them.. because in the same area burundi, I didnt even know any variants besides the burundi came out of there until I looked it up.. lol

gobluecichlids

I have put a new male frontosa to an existing colony, yes, the dom male will give a fit. it will take a while for them to get along. The subdom may get beat up and have thier fins torn, but they will heal.

sandnuka

wow, absolutly gorgeous... look at thoughs blues! I really didnt think it was possible to add a fish to an established colony without allot worse than a few nipped fins happening.... Like I said, we learn something new everyday in this hobby.
So you dont just have Kavala, you have karema... wich are both not really common at all... there gorgeous fish, i dont know why there not as important as Mpimbwe, kapampa, moba, kigoma... etc... Do you have anything else? Thanks for sharing those pics.

gobluecichlids

no Kavalla. I really go for the zaires. I had zaire Kapampa, Kitumbas, Kalumbas before. Right now I am doing Karemas since I doubt that Seattle is not ready to spend $25 a zaire frontosa fry at 1". Here are my past photo of my former collections:

F1 Kalumbas
024.jpg

Wild Kapampas
030-2.jpg

A

Anonymous

sandnuka said:
you have two profiles??? So youve done this before with introducing a WC later in a existing colony??? You made it sound like you havent done that yet??? anyway, did you get your kavala from the same breeder down there??? I rarely here of them.. because in the same area burundi, I didnt even know any variants besides the burundi came out of there until I looked it up.. lol
Nope, GoBLue is not me..lol..I think he was just chiming in..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.