**FREE Killifish Presentation by Matt Kaufman** - Presented by GSAS

Seattle_Aquarist

**FREE Killifish Presentation by Matt Kaufman** - Presented by GSAS

The Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS) is pleased to sponsor a free lecture titled 'Keeping and Enjoying Killifish' by Matt Kaufman. In this talk, Matt Kaufman shares his killi-keeping and killi-enjoying techniques. He will show lots of pictures of pretty fish, lots of not as pretty pictures of killi setups, how he keeps, breeds, and feeds his killies, and try to demystify these engrossing, beautiful, easy yet challenging gems of the aquarium hobby.

Matt has been keeping freshwater tropical fish since he was a kid growing up in an apartment in Queens, NY. In the late 1980's, with the advent of Usenet and newsgroups, he discovered killifish, killifish keepers (many of whom are interesting in their own right but not anything you'd want to keep), the American Killifish Association and his local killi club, the Metro Area Killi Association, located in NJ. He's kept killies regularly ever since, at one point having 150 "tanks" housing 30 species of various types. Eventually, he scaled back to just a few dozen favorites, then, in 2003, took a job in Redmond, WA. Despite moving 4 times in 2003-2004, he was never without a few pairs of killies and in 2004, built a killi closet in his garage in Woodinville, where he keeps a few favorite species today.

The lecture will be Tuesday, June 12th, 2012 at 7:30PM at Seattle Pacific University; Otto Miller Hall; Room 109; West Nickerson Street and 3rd Avenue West

Doors will open around 7:10PM; the meeting will start at about 7:30PM

The lecture will be followed by a short auction

Open to the public, no entrance fee

Family friendly but no childcare provided
Free parking, accessible building
No furry or feathered pets
Go to http://www.gsas.org/ for more information and directions

Seattle_Aquarist

Next Tuesday! Don't miss this excellent presentation and our last meeting until next September.

September is when internationally recognized plants-woman and plant explorer Christel Kasselmann is our guest speaker from Germany!

Seattle_Aquarist

Last night was an excellent meeting with a great presentation by Matt Kaufman on the basics of Killifish husbandry and if that wasn't enought he brought some excellent killifish including some of the more rare imported species which were auctioned at the end of his talk. -Roy

Kaosu

It was my first meeting I had allot of fun and i will be coming to the next!!!

^_^ Ill bring along some stuff to auction aw well.

Im in love with my new killifish as well!

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi Kaosu,

I'm glad you enjoyed your first meeting! Many of our GSAS members are involved in putting it together and they put forth a lot of time and effort behind the scenes to make make it entertaining, informative, and fun!

Our next regular meeting will be a special event; it is being held on a Saturday and we have invited Cristel Kasselmann to visit us from Germany and do a presentation on her expeditions in search of new and exciting aquatic plants for aquariums.

For our GSAS members there will be a Summer Picnic in August; more information will be forthcoming. It is a 'Potluck' where our members bring their favorite dishes and desserts and our club supplies the hot dogs, hamburgers, and beverages. Our course there are prizes, drawings, and fish and plant swaps.

-Roy

Kaosu,

Next time you come to a meeting, would you come over and introduce yourself to me? I wish we'd been able to get together last time on the killi trade. Sorry it didn't work out.

Why don't you join GSAS and come to the picnic. It's a great opportunity to talk with a lot of different people at length. It's hard to do that at the regular meetings because so much is going on during them.

Ron

Kaosu

fishloverRon said:
Kaosu,

Next time you come to a meeting, would you come over and introduce yourself to me? I wish we'd been able to get together last time on the killi trade. Sorry it didn't work out.

Why don't you join GSAS and come to the picnic. It's a great opportunity to talk with a lot of different people at length. It's hard to do that at the regular meetings because so much is going on during them.

Ron
I will be joining!

and i would of come over and introduced myself self but I was not sure witch one you were.. or anyone for that mater! I have a horrible memory.

I did run in to two guys on the way out who all happen to be from MV within blocks of my house it was really amusing!

Same reason I guess I didn't introduce myself to you !!!! And I didn't know you were going to be there...! :D I'm the hospitality chairperson, Ron Sower. We'll connect at the next event I hope.

Maybe you and the others from Mount Vernon can carpool and save some money on your gas. I think you'll find the driving time flies by once you get to talking about fish topics.

Later,
Ron

Betty

Staff member
Kaosu, I think I was sitting right in front/beside you. (Clues being that you were new there and bought killis.) Were you in the upper back corner?

This was an interesting presentation. I knew nothing about killifish before.

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi Betty,

You made a great point about not knowing about Killies but finding the presentation interesting! I felt the same way about the goldfish presentation that we had in January. I learned a lot and it seems the more I learn about my hobby the more I enjoy it.

GSAS is a true hobbyist club with members interested in all aspects of our hobby from shrimp and planted tanks to Africans, South Americans, Central Americans, monster and exotic species (including endangered/C.A.R.E.S. species). To that end our club tries to invite some of the best speakers that cover those subjects. Christel Kasselmann from Germany who is speaking at GSAS in September (special day and location) is probably one of the premier aquatic plant explorers in our world today. In October we have one of the top freshwater Shrimp hobbyists from San Francisco lined up.

Glad you were there!
-Roy

Kaosu

Betty said:
Kaosu, I think I was sitting right in front/beside you. (Clues being that you were new there and bought killis.) Were you in the upper back corner?

This was an interesting presentation. I knew nothing about killifish before.

yes that was us!! ^_^ me and my (now) fiance got killis snails and plants, and we were the only new people to raise our hands to find out about the auction.

we already are killifish enthusiasts! ..witch is why we decided to drive down! we have tanks devoted to them and they breed like bunnies..we have pares for sale but we had no clue we could of brought to sell!

I cant wait this is an awesome group! I hope to make it to the picnicking and get to know more of you!

Im also super excited about the plant talk and the shrimp talk!! all of our tanks are low tech planted tanks, and in the last year we have really been getting in to shrimp!

ok Question for you all!!

we are looking at memberships

what is the difference between the single and the family member ship?

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi kaosu,

A 'single' membership is for an individual - ie you only
A 'Family' membership is for a whole family (including the kids)

My wife and I have a Family membership. It gives us access to the 'Member's Only' talks that our guest speakers do from time to time. We also have access to our club library, our newsletter archive (40 years of issues of Northwest Aquaria), and the videos of the last 10 years of guest speaker presentations (when the speakers allowed us to do them). Also, as a member we call sell items in the auctions.

Hope that helps!
-Roy

Kaosu

Seattle_Aquarist said:
Hi kaosu,

A 'single' membership is for an individual - ie you only
A 'Family' membership is for a whole family (including the kids)

My wife and I have a Family membership. It gives us access to the 'Member's Only' talks that our guest speakers do from time to time. We also have access to our club library, our newsletter archive (40 years of issues of Northwest Aquaria), and the videos of the last 10 years of guest speaker presentations (when the speakers allowed us to do them). Also, as a member we call sell items in the auctions.

Hope that helps!
-Roy
does the family membership work if you dont have kids?..just me and the other half?

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi Kaosu,

Yes, our daughter has grown up so it is just my wife and I that have the Family membership. It is cheaper than two Single memberships.

-Roy

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, I think everyone who attends their First GSAS meeting is blown away by how many fish nerds can be packed into the same room! lol

Kaosu

the ametei killfish we picked up at the metting are settling in well !!

DSC07974.jpg

DSC07968.jpg

DSC07991.jpg

DSC07984.jpg

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi Kaosu,

Wow, looking really good! If I recall you got a good deal on those as well which makes them twice as nice......now to breed them and make them available locally.

-Roy