Franken-Rena

mustanglvr1982

Hey guys, I'm experimenting with something currently. I have had great luck with my Rena-filstar (API-filstar now) canisters. I've had an XP-L (3 basket) and XP-XL (4 basket) on my 125 gallon for 6 years, both were already used when I got the tank. Only issue I've ever had was struggles with priming (growing pains) and a bad gasket causing it to rain from the ceiling of my basement. I also have a spare XP-L canister (no pump, just canister and baskets.) I ordered an XP-S from Amazon thinking I could just use the pump from that on my XP-L canister. I had this set up on a 65 gallon hex tank housing 2 rapidly growing and pooping Tiger Oscars and an 8-inch common Pleco. I learned quickly that that setup wasn't nearly adequate.

Fast-forward 5 years, the XP-S is covered in dust under my 125. I recently set up a low-tech planted 20 gallon, and I'm just not happy with the Penguin 200 I have on it.

Do you think the XP-S with 1 basket would be ok for that setup, or maybe even the XP-S/L concoction? I have it running in a 5-gallon bucket right now with the 3 basket can, and it's got a nice gentle flow going.

Sorry about the novel, I just like to be as clear and detailed as possible!

Let me know what you think!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk