Found an easier way cleaning off brown algea on saltwater!

gobluecichlids

With the lack of a saltwater pleco, I knew one of the obstacles is to keep the glass/acrylic tank clear frequently. Currently i have a large acrylic tank and keeps build up brown spots all over the tank. I have an acrylic scrub pad on a long handle and it's a real pain to clean em off, and often my hand gets tired easily from scrubbing so hard. I even snapped the long handle one and it's not easy to find another acrylic replacement at most petstores. I was about ready to order a new one online but here's the scoop:

Someone I ran into told me to try the magic eraser (mr clean brand) and I was really suprised to see how easy these hard stubborn brown spots came off. the pad gets dirty fast, I keep switching sides and the brown keeps coming off. Now my tank looks brand new again! Very happy I didn't have to buy a scrubber now. :cheers:

No chemicals on the pad, I did ask about it, and he said he used that for yrs, pretty safe to use it. Just wanted to let other know what I just experienced..

cichlid-gal

Let us know how that works...we use a Mag-float in our saltwater and if we keep up with it it works pretty well but we know we will have to replace it at some time so curious about this option. Thanks

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have a freshwater tank that has no plecos..... I have also, for about a year, used the magic erasers. It makes my glass tank crystal clear, just like you stated! I am still too nervous to try in on any of my acrylic tanks.

cichlid-gal

So what are the magic erasers made of? Totally fish safe? Ack...I'm always so hesitant to try something that comes from the "cleaning" house isle of the store...LOL...I'm a wimp when it comes to new fish stuff...gads

gobluecichlids

made of some rough foam. got mine at albertson's. I would trust that magic eraser than the scrub pad, sand traps inside the scrub pads easier and strach the acrylic.

lilfishie

Dont know what they are made of, but I use it on the inside of the 180 acrylic tank. Buffs it real nice. Makes it real clear.

Just make sure you pick up the one thas says "original"

FrontosaDude

Those magic erasers work great! Like lilfishie said, make sure it is the original one. I don't really have too much of an algae problem on my glass anymore (except for some coraline growing on the back which doesn't really bother me) but my turbo snails do a great job of keeping most of my glass clean, I guess you could say snails are the plecos of the saltwater world, my magfloat takes care of the rest! The thought of a crazy colored reef pleco makes me want to go Dr. Frankenstein lol!

Jon macLeod

Anyone got Experince cleaning brown algea off of live rock. I'm afraid to dmg it. Trigger is killing my clean up crew. Hopefully he finds a new home soon

gobluecichlids

Jon macLeod said:
Anyone got Experince cleaning brown algea off of live rock. I'm afraid to dmg it. Trigger is killing my clean up crew. Hopefully he finds a new home soon
if you're looking for a new home for him, what kind of trigger? Where is JBLM (your location)

Jon macLeod

Undulated trigger. He's about 2". Very active and healthy. I can text you pics of him. Just pm me your number. JBLM is Ft Lewis. So Tacoma area.