Formerly a Nano Reef (not so seriously), now a 90 gallon

Squirmteben

I know Gryphon has decided not to do a nano reef. But does anyone have suggestions for how to do one? I know they're far more finicky and prone to disaster, but I live in a small apartment with a limited budget, so I don't have enough space to hold a large SW aquarium or to keep a lot of spare water on hand. I'd like something simple with a clownfish pair and maybe some pretty gobies or damsel.

Anthraxx

pretty sure damsel's get rather large over time so thats out. you are going to run into issues given its such a small amount of water, i would highly suggest simply developing a small sump (inside a stand or something) even a 10g sump is gonna be helpful in the long run. im also not sure how well a pair of anything would really hold up in such a nano enviornment. most of what ive seen in nanos is maybe 1-2 fish and a bunch of inverts, corals, crabs, etc. i dont mean to shoot u down here, just would suck to spend a bunch of money on livestock to just lose it all after not doing a WC every 2 days or something.

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't attemp a clown pair in anything less than 30g. I would do a 33% water change each week. Get tons of crabs, smaller snails, and sand sifters (if sand is disired).

Squirmteben

Yeah, I was leaning towards a 29g cube or something like that. I think that's the biggest I can go, just based on space. I like the footprint of the cubes, but could I do a 10g refugium/sump underneath one of those self-contained units they're always showing off in the Fish Store on Roosevelt?

Every time I contemplate a SW tank, the idea gets more and more complicated.

A

Anonymous

How about a standard 60g cube? Also have you thought about a rimless cube? Also when your looking for clownfish go to clownfishdepot.com. He has the best for the best price. I can get you in on a group order.

A

Anonymous

Kind of, that's not the best quality but it would work. It's not necisarily having water on hand but having the ability to make it quickly. I have a 200gpd RO and Enough salt to do a 33% water change on my 450g.

A

Anonymous

Go for it. Solana tanks are good quality and are very sleek.

A

Anonymous

I know the seller off of reef frontiers and its not like him to not respond. I might be able to get in touch with him if you want.

Squirmteben

@Naso2: Could you put in a good word for me? Maybe I freaked him out by using his name in the text I sent him, even though he didn't tell me his name. But his e-mail address is his name, so who knows.

@Zerc: Wooooah! So that's only 2.5' by 2.5'? I wonder how I'd transport it.

Squirmteben

I sent an e-mail and will call in the morning. That's a crazy good deal. I hope I can snag it. Why do these nano ideas always explode into 100 gallon monsters? Oh, I know; they all want a Blue Tang to name Dory.

Gryphon

No dice tank wise, but I've not been seriously looking due to just having had to shell out my tank money for my daughter's antibiotics.