Florida !!!

master chi

I recently started watching a youtube channel. Monster Mike Fishing. This dude is fishing everyday in Florida. i am amazed to see him catch Midas,Oscars,Peacock Bass,and Enormous Plecos on the regular. Seemingly without even trying. He even dropped a line into a streetside drain and caught a cichlid. Cichlid keepers in Wa don't get to be so lucky. I'm not sure of the laws there. But these fish are likely invasive. so catching and bringing home might be allowed. Just funny I guess.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I recently started watching a youtube channel. Monster Mike Fishing. This dude is fishing everyday in Florida. i am amazed to see him catch Midas,Oscars,Peacock Bass,and Enormous Plecos on the regular. Seemingly without even trying. He even dropped a line into a streetside drain and caught a cichlid. Cichlid keepers in Wa don't get to be so lucky. I'm not sure of the laws there. But these fish are likely invasive. so catching and bringing home might be allowed. Just funny I guess.
I almost bought a feral cichlid from Florida.... there was a guy I used to follow on Facebook that did the same thing and when he caught smaller ones, he would actually put them up for sale..... now you can’t buy and sell fish on Facebook anymore so his page went away.

master chi

wow. Thats crazy. Also you used the term Feral. Not Wild. Hmm? Do you see it as different or just another way to say the same thing?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
wow. Thats crazy. Also you used the term Feral. Not Wild. Hmm? Do you see it as different or just another way to say the same thing?

A wild animal is one that lives in nature, and whose progenitors also lived in the natural world. A feral animal is one that is descended from domesticated animals, but now lives in the wild. For example, many large cities have problems with feral cats; these are all descended from domesticated cats (pets), but now behave as if they were wild.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I used feral as the Floridians I spoke too called them feral for two reasons #1 they originally came from tank raised species, and #2 even though they were now multiple generations breeding down in the canals, they aren’t a native species to that locale.

Once they said that to me, I just went with it as it made sense to me, and I have never been to Florida to confirm if this is what the local fisherman actually call them.

I do appreciate Sir Keith’s addition to the conversation but now I am second guessing the name since they are multiple generations now born in the “wild”

Modest_Man

They fight hard for sure. Lots of fun to catch on light tackle. I fished for them on Oahu when I lived there.

100_1156.jpg

100_1220.jpg

100_1222.jpg

100_1223.jpg

100_1181.jpg

100_0733.jpg

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Yeah, I used feral as the Floridians I spoke too called them feral for two reasons #1 they originally came from tank raised species, and #2 even though they were now multiple generations breeding down in the canals, they aren’t a native species to that locale.

Once they said that to me, I just went with it as it made sense to me, and I have never been to Florida to confirm if this is what the local fisherman actually call them.

I do appreciate Sir Keith’s addition to the conversation but now I am second guessing the name since they are multiple generations now born in the “wild”

I don't think it matters how many generations they've been in the wild; if they are descended from domesticated animals they are referred to as 'feral,' not 'wild.' I do see your point though- if only the great great grandparents (or whatever) were captive fishes, and all subsequent generations were born in the wild, aren't they more 'wild' than 'domesticated' (or 'feral')? That may be the case in terms of behavior, appearance, etc. (collectively known as the 'phenotype'), but at the genetic level feral animals are distinct from wild animals, and you can trace those differences at the DNA level through many generations. So one definition of 'feral' might be animals in the wild whose genetic makeup ('genotype') contains DNA derived from domesticated individuals. Genetically speaking, that's a useful distinction.

master chi

They fight hard for sure. Lots of fun to catch on light tackle. I fished for them on Oahu when I lived there.

100_1156.jpg

100_1220.jpg

100_1222.jpg

100_1223.jpg

100_1181.jpg

100_0733.jpg
Oahu? how did they get there? There's a whole ocean away from Florida!! LOL. So there's also Aquarium fish in the resevoirs in Oahu? I guess. I knew they had bass,and Tilapia,Even Bluegill which we have in lakes here in Wa. It seems like freshwater in Hawaii would be great for Tropical fishes like cichlids.Panfish and Bass must be very hardy and adaptable. seeing as how they're everywhere. Actually I know it's not allowed. but It'd be cool to keep a Crappie or Bluegill at home. they do have similar visual traits to american aichlids

Oahu? how did they get there? There's a whole ocean away from Florida!! LOL. So there's also Aquarium fish in the resevoirs in Oahu? I guess. I knew they had bass,and Tilapia,Even Bluegill which we have in lakes here in Wa. It seems like freshwater in Hawaii would be great for Tropical fishes like cichlids.Panfish and Bass must be very hardy and adaptable. seeing as how they're everywhere. Actually I know it's not allowed. but It'd be cool to keep a Crappie or Bluegill at home. they do have similar visual traits to american aichlids

Bluegills and Pumpkin seed fish are very similar to cichlids in their appearance and behavior .I used to have a few large tanks that had Bluegills, Small mouth bass and Perch along with a few lake catfish that I raised .
My favorites were the Pumpkinseeds because of their looks and because they weren't as hostile or territorial towards each other as the Bluegills were . However having a big tank that's well stocked with plants for cover is a must .

I've also kept Sticklebacks, Western brook lampreys and rainbow trout at one time or another . The Stickleback fish were interesting to observe especially during breeding season and the color changes that happens especially with the males .