Fishes of S.E. Asia

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I wanted to post in the proper section for global location but there is no Asia section. My gouramis control the 55g planted tank now. There are a few other inhabitants a male pea puffer, a khuli loach, a bumble bee cat, and some glass shrimp. There are 6 gouramis, a mix of male and female. One of the males is intent on building a bubble nest. He chases everyone else away. He is a nice chocolate brown with orange fringe and some blue. I am tempted to move him to a sponge filter tank but I don’t want to interrupt his activities as it is interesting to watch.
AD4BCEE3-9D60-4B5A-A925-287AEDF6B6DF.jpeg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
very awesome. Maybe he is trying to entice a female but he wants to get totally done with his work first. lol Leave me alone women until Im ready.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works with labyrinthine fishes- the male constructs a nest, and only then is he ready to court a female. It's pretty much the same for fishes that build nests on the sand floor. :)

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I added two pieces of foam attached to suction cups to make a fence. I then added water lettuce to the corral. He wasn’t to happy at first but soon set about building a new nest. I added a female and bang they were getting kinky. As soon as they were done a swapped her out for another and the kinky times continued. I left off with the two spawns to see how it goes.
F44F3DAB-636E-4FE7-BA7A-BC17D2C3FC8A.jpeg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I was certain I had a male and a female. I have described the smaller as the female and the male as the larger. The larger has eye wrinkles and I was pretty sure a belly line. Now the smaller is presenting a very dark belly line and the larger I am uncertain.

FishBeast

I was certain I had a male and a female. I have described the smaller as the female and the male as the larger. The larger has eye wrinkles and I was pretty sure a belly line. Now the smaller is presenting a very dark belly line and the larger I am uncertain.
Looks spawn-y! Your fish are getting randy! What do you have in your water? :D

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Two points I’d like to make...

1. I looked into creating a new section for fish from Asia, but even as an admin, I don’t have access to be able to do that ( I remember Corey having some web designers build this platform for us when he took it over and transitioned us from the old one , but didn’t realize they had it locked down so much).

2. I recently learned, and it blew my mind, that pea puffers actually run in Shoals in the hundreds in the wild. Who would have thought!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Two points I’d like to make...

1. I looked into creating a new section for fish from Asia, but even as an admin, I don’t have access to be able to do that ( I remember Corey having some web designers build this platform for us when he took it over and transitioned us from the old one , but didn’t realize they had it locked down so much).

2. I recently learned, and it blew my mind, that pea puffers actually run in Shoals in the hundreds in the wild. Who would have thought!

:rofl, no worries. Wow, 260g pea puffer habitat here we come :cool:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
@lloyd378 stopped by the other day and I must apologize for lying. I told him I only had 4 pea puffers, I have 5. One must have been hiding because when I fed them frozen brine and blood worms I very definitely counted 5. :D

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I think it would be sweet with a paradise fish swimming in and out of those plants

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Look at all that wasted space! You need a super tall column tank there. :wink

Or with a little diy work...
D449313E-BE97-4F14-84FE-8E943D0AE8AF.jpeg

Last edited: