Fish room aquarium rack

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Wow, that's cool. Good that you could get it fixed.

Me too. One of the cross members I cut a 1/2in short. I removed on of the upper cross pieces as it interfered with opening the aquarium cover and fitted it in place of the short one.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Late to the convo, but looks good to me!

I have a three level stand that holds 6 40 gallon breeders... I love it as I have one 40b on it, then I’m growing some fig tree starts under another section, and the top is used for storing some extra fish equipment and power tools haha

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Transferred all the fish from the 100 gallon to the rack.
Fry lower RH
Female multies upper LH
Male multies upper RH
Cyps in both upper
6D8402B8-A26B-4D97-A038-BCD13456E120.jpeg 8073E847-14C3-4DAC-A352-158DFC0EA698.jpeg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Bringing this one back to life. Looking to build something similar. But with 2 65B that I currently have and then possible adding 2 40B in the future, but for sure it will need space to grow. Not sure if I should do the 40B on bottom and the 65B above or vice versa.

@Colin James, Anything you would have done differently now that its all set up? I have concerns as to the low tank height. How far up is yours from the floor?

@FishBeast, you build a rack too? Any thoughts or changes?

Thoughts appreciated on this.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Yes, I would make changes. Originally, the rack was for 4 29g aquariums at 12W x 18.75H. The 55g is 13W x 23.5H leaving only 3 inches of access. When I aquascaped the 55 I had to remove the 2 29g from the top.
As built each “shelf” should be able to hold 600lbs (see weight calculator link above). 2 29g are roughly that weight sans decorations so they should stay bare tanks. The 55g is roughly the same weight hence the center brace. Future build would be 2x6 long cross members for more weight bearing.
So, I would lower the 55g by 6in to allow more access. I would add additional storage shelves above top tank and raise upper cross member a couple inches.
If I build another rack for 29g I will add a 1/2in to total width. 2 29g side by side are 60in and between uprights is 60 3/8in. Made the sides really to close. I would also turn the uprights 90 degrees so that they are parallel to long cross members so side view of tanks is not blocked as much.
Cory built a rack out of metal bed frames. I am currently collecting same for same.
63ACD88B-119A-42B8-BB91-66EABD237BE9.jpeg AB07508A-CB7E-4825-9CB1-BC7444620C0D.jpeg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@Colin James, thats the kind of feedback I was looking for! Thank you for that.

My current stack is a Petco metal stand with a 65B on top and a 20L fits below. The tank at the bottom is maybe 6" off the ground and this is really difficult to maintain, to get enough flow for a gravel vac. But on the plus side I have a ton of access on top (apx 12") which I would not have had if I did a 29 in there. Then it only would have been about 6" of working room.

D601FD82-9EE5-481C-AA5B-353AF443A4D9.jpeg

In my possible diy rack Im still trying to figure out the position of the 40B vs the 65B and if I want the rack to go 3 tanks high or just 2. I do know I want a rack that would at minimum hold my 2 65B and 2 future 40B.

Thanks for the feedback, it gives me things to think about.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My other idea is to mod a Lowe's metal rack. Though they generally say they are not for aquarium use.... It would be something that looks like this
racking.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I do have another option and that would be to look into a custom rack by the company that built my aquariums... but Im sure its a costly option.

FishBeast

My other idea is to mod a Lowe's metal rack. Though they generally say they are not for aquarium use.... It would be something that looks like this
View attachment 5376
If you can get the right size on these, they will work well. I would recommend topping each shelf with plywood or OSB for tank use. I was looking at some of these but the size/footprint just didn't fit in my space.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Built this to hold 2 55g tanks so that I can put 2 29g back into the other rack. I do like having the floor space back in the wet room, though. I already had the wire shelving and needed something to support the wider containers.
The rack measures 48x13.5x 80 for the two rear uprights. 12in to the bottom of the lower 55g iirc, and 60in for the next. With a generous entry to the top of the lower.
BCE8987A-1806-47C4-B657-9EF4728960A9.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you @Colin James for the pic. It helps me appreciate that we all have an addiction, lol. Im in the process of getting my extra tank stuff organized so I appreciate it.