Fish room aquarium rack

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I have four 29 gallon aquariums that were given to me. One is sitting on the floor with a single Mbuna in it. I want to build a rack that will hold all four so that I can use them as grow out tanks for my multie and cyp fry and possibly a daphnia tank. I have done a little google hunting for picks of what others have made but not much out there. For those of you that have done this before what do your racks look like?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I have a garage full of tools. I tend to be all thumbs when it comes to wood working. I picked up two 13ft long pallets with 2x4 members that I will disassemble for use in this project. Would like to have it together before next Saturday as I would like to catch my 3 female Cyps and strip them before they spit out their fry.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Good job! Now your motivating me to build. Ive been wanting to build something similar but with 40B’s on the bottom and 65B’s on top.

clownie

Looks really good! I made all mine out of scrap wood so they are pretty ugly. I think i am going to redo them to make them look better!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The wood on this one was pretty ugly so I had my 11 and 9 year old out helping me get it painted. I also had help from the 9 yr old spray painting the backs of 3 of the 29 gallon tanks. Tonight will be getting the rack in place and setting the tanks up.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Small issue. I forgot about the trim which adds 3/16in to the total length of the aquarium. I did add a half inch to the shelf but now they sit tight against each other. The one had a broken rim so I removed it and now I can’t use the cover which means an airstone is a bad idea as water splashes on the wall. The bottom rail covers the wall plug and the rack covers most of the light switch. First world problems.
730A2243-F66F-4235-A9AB-9AF242689D3D.jpeg

Last edited:

FishBeast

Small issue. I forgot about the trim which adds 3/16in to the total length of the aquarium. I did add a half inch to the shelf but now they sit tight against each other. The one had a broken rim so I removed it and now I can’t use the cover which means an airstone is a bad idea as water splashes on the wall. The bottom rail covers the wall plug and the rack covers most of the light switch. First world problems.

View attachment 4940
Can you use lighting diffuser laid on top of the top of the tank for a cover?

clownie

I had those same issue's the first time I made a rack! I always add an inch on to the length now and totally check out the area it is going for outlet and light switches....we live and learn!!:)

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Fixed the rack. Now two tanks can sit next to each other. Wood stretchers are amazing tools. Glad I inherited my grandfather’s as they are no longer produced ;)
5D483522-2F6D-4130-A23A-770A3CC4B738.jpeg

Last edited: