Finnex StingRAY lights Hit the shelves next week!

A

Anonymous

Holy crap that's super coOl! I love the design and the convenient hood mount. There was a time this stuff was complicated with retro fit fixtures and trying to find fluorescent fixtures at the hardware store that I could mount in my hoods.

Even the other finnex fixtures without the hood mounts are easy to retro fit into hoods using duct mounts.

Way to go Aquarium CoOp :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Does anyone have these on their tanks yet? Thoughts of it in actual use would be awesome...

I have been considering changing out my Aqueon Modular to something sleeker like this. The Aqueon came with the tank when I bought it but it is a big fixture!

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a few on the tanks at the shop. It's definitely dimmer than the rest of the finnex lights. That said it's probably perfect for large tanks without plants, or smaller tanks that want low-medium plants. I am biased as I'm used to seeing really bright lighting all the time at my shop.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well my Aqueon came with the tank with a single tube and is not impressive in color or intensity. I added a colormax tube and it is about right in intensity but really has horrible blending with red spots being visible. These new Finnex seem very well priced and might just fit my need. I would be doing a fish only setup in my 72 gallon bowfront which is 22" deep. Would you consider this light a good fit for that application?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I would say that's what these lights were designed to do. To quote the maker when talkign to them. "Stores were requesting a lower power light that would like up cichlid tanks for cheaper money"

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got my 48" Stingray today and am impressed with the light output and the color tone.

One thing bothers me about the fixture that if I would have known I would not have purchased it. The power transformer is permanently wired into the light fixture. This may not seem to be a big deal but on other fixtures they do go out and need to be replaced and would be nice if it were as simple as pulling apart a barrel connecter and replacing the transformer. The other issue was that it does not allow me to use my cool current ramp timer. Would not have got it if I would have known this. I am just going to use a regular digital timer but the ramp feature is so cool a feature that once you have it you dont want to go back.