Filter Suggestions

Squirmteben

I think my HOB Whisper 30 filter is on its last legs. It puts out more than a dribble, but less than I'd like. Unfortunately, I just bought a 12pack of biobags last week, but luckily they're cheap, so I'm not too upset.

So now I'm in the market for a new filter for my 29 gallon high light heavily planted tank with fluorite and DIY CO2. Stock: Angels, Congo Tetra, and Corys. Does anyone have any recommendations of quality filtration? I've only use HOB filters, which I like for their use of space and ease of maintenance. Should I just buy another Whisper to use up my biobags or are there clearly superior options? Or should I turn a water pump on in there too and risk waiting three weeks for the aquarium swap?

I can't decide right now and other opinions would be extremely appreciated.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Aqua Clear is the way to go for HOB filters. They last forever and the media is a type you rinse and reuse, not expensive disposable cartridges. An AC70 would work very well in a 29g

Salzabar

Aqua Clear is good BUT IMO Marineland make some really good filters as well.
When you have a bio wheel intergrated into your HOB filter you only increase your surface area by a 1000 times for Nitrification to occure. Easy to clean and reuse filter and a media slot to add whatever you want to the filter. I started off with Aqua Clear back in the day but when the Emperor filter came out I was hooked. As for lasting, When the Emperor came out is when I bought them many years ago and they are still running and they never leak.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-power-filters/11442-105534/marineland-emperor-bio-wheel-power-filter-pro-series.html?utm_source=googleproductads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term={keyword}&gclid=COzKu7HCqbUCFWyCQgodmXkAWg

If the Emperor is too big for your tank then try its little brother the Penguin

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-power-filters/11442-502944/marineland-penguin-bio-wheel-power-filter.html

Again, this is just my opinion. I'm sure everyone on this forum has their own favorite so do your research first.

A

Anonymous

I would like to add, no matter what HOB you choose you can do away with the disposable cartridges forever if you want. I fill my HOB boxes with precut sponges and ceramics wrapped in nylon stockings, I'll also put crushed coral in nylon stockings to adjust PH.

I'm currently using Aqua clear 70 (fka- aqua clear 300) with my 29 gallon. Its rated for up to 70 gallon,has a large basket , its currently adjusted for minimal flow. Depending on flow restriction I rinse out a sponge about every 5-8 weeks.

Betty

Staff member
Not knowing your experience level, I have to ask -- have you given your Whisper a thorough cleaning, including the inside of the intake tube, the impeller assembly and well? When my HOBs slow down and replacing the mechanical media doesn't help much, a really good cleaning gets the flow back up. Don't do this at the same time you replace the bio!

A

Anonymous

Betty said:
Not knowing your experience level, I have to ask -- have you given your Whisper a thorough cleaning, including the inside of the intake tube, the impeller assembly and well? When my HOBs slow down and replacing the mechanical media doesn't help much, a really good cleaning gets the flow back up. Don't do this at the same time you replace the bio!
:afro: .oO That's right! The compartment that houses the magnet and propeller can gunk up. Also, there is usually replacement parts for these as well. Sounds like time to pull out the old toothbrush .

Squirmteben

I give the tubing a pretty thorough cleaning every couple weeks or so, and I checked the empeller and cleaned some gunk off the magnet. I'll pull it apart and check the motor assembly today. I stuck my finger in there yesterday... Update: Disassembled the whole thing and gave it a clean. I think I missed some gunk in the tube, right where it exits into the empeller. Good as new now. Thanks Betty.

I'm thinking of getting an Aquaclear and they have a rebate coupon right now for one year's worth of filter media. I'll load up in one buy, get the rebate, and then really have multiple years worth, since they want us to change the foam and bio every month. Why would the 70 be a good choice? More reservoir and bio space than the 30 and 50? And it has adjustable flow?

I like the bio-wheel design, but I worry about it aerating out my CO2.

JimA

Personally I would ditch the HOB and get a aquatop canister that comes with a spray bar. Can be found for 80 or less not much more than a HOB

Anthraxx

squirm cichlid-forum has some guides on making HOB filters into awesome sponge filters that last a lifetime and are cheap as heck to replace. take a look at it, itll save you even more money :)

A

Anonymous

Squirmteben said:
I give the tubing a pretty thorough cleaning every couple weeks or so, and I checked the empeller and cleaned some gunk off the magnet. I'll pull it apart and check the motor assembly today. I stuck my finger in there yesterday... Update: Disassembled the whole thing and gave it a clean. I think I missed some gunk in the tube, right where it exits into the empeller. Good as new now. Thanks Betty.

I'm thinking of getting an Aquaclear and they have a rebate coupon right now for one year's worth of filter media. I'll load up in one buy, get the rebate, and then really have multiple years worth, since they want us to change the foam and bio every month. Why would the 70 be a good choice? More reservoir and bio space than the 30 and 50? And it has adjustable flow?

I like the bio-wheel design, but I worry about it aerating out my CO2.
That's why I chose the 70, more space, more media. It does have adjustable flow.Perhaps I'll pull it and take a picture of how I have the media stacked.

Seattle_Aquarist

Salzabar said:
Aqua Clear is good BUT IMO Marineland make some really good filters as well.
When you have a bio wheel intergrated into your HOB filter you only increase your surface area by a 1000 times for Nitrification to occure. Easy to clean and reuse filter and a media slot to add whatever you want to the filter. I started off with Aqua Clear back in the day but when the Emperor filter came out I was hooked. As for lasting, When the Emperor came out is when I bought them many years ago and they are still running and they never leak.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-power-filters/11442-105534/marineland-emperor-bio-wheel-power-filter-pro-series.html?utm_source=googleproductads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term={keyword}&gclid=COzKu7HCqbUCFWyCQgodmXkAWg

If the Emperor is too big for your tank then try its little brother the Penguin

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-power-filters/11442-502944/marineland-penguin-bio-wheel-power-filter.html

Again, this is just my opinion. I'm sure everyone on this forum has their own favorite so do your research first.
+1 for Salzabar's recommendation for Aqua Clear

Salzabar

Wait, what? I recommended Aqua clear? Hmmkay....nope. I stated it was good, and it is very good. Seems like everyone has had or still have an Aqua clear HOB filter. I still have mine tucked away in a plastic tote in the garage, but thanks for the votes Roy and Oscar. See you all at the home show.

A

Anonymous

Salzabar said:
Wait, what? I recommended Aqua clear? Hmmkay....nope. I stated it was good, and it is very good. Seems like everyone has had or still have an Aqua clear HOB filter. I still have mine tucked away in a plastic tote in the garage, but thanks for the votes Roy and Oscar. See you all at the home show.
:afro: .oO{ I thought Roy's comment might have been a typO after I read your comment, I was a little confused.... )

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi Steven,

What I like about the Aqua Clear HOB filters is the horizontal placement of the media. The horizontal placement allows me to cut my own replacement media (sponge or mats) and use a media bag for carbon or Purigen which saves me significant $$. Since my tanks are mostly planted I now run sponge X2 in my HOB's. IMHO they are excellent, reliable, quiet filters. Last year I replaced one I purchased in 1983.

A

Anonymous

Seattle_Aquarist said:
Hi Steven,

What I like about the Aqua Clear HOB filters is the horizontal placement of the media. The horizontal placement allows me to cut my own replacement media (sponge or mats) and use a media bag for carbon or Purigen which saves me significant $$. Since my tanks are mostly planted I now run sponge X2 in my HOB's. IMHO they are excellent, reliable, quiet filters. Last year I replaced one I purchased in 1983.

:plus1:

A

Anonymous

Aqua clear 70 custom stuffed

ce11cd89-5b27-4ac8-8baf-004b4ef2b951_zpse41c3f2c.jpg

1360547956_zps1f250473.jpg

5db5db1b-76f6-4646-bd3c-8d0ce89e4ab2_zps322d3cb3.jpg

From top; ceramics in a bag
Crushed coral in a bag
Media mat
Porous sponge (bio) with a V cut into top
Fine sponge (mechanical)
Porous media (bio)
Fine sponge (mechanical)

I usually only rinse the black sponges and the blue/white media mat. This stuffed box is one of my more complicated ones. I've stuffed these just using 1 or 2 precut sponges. I just used what I had. This will last the lifetime of the HOB.