figi live rock??

hi folks ,
i keep getting harassed by one of the companies i buy fish from about trying some of their marine items,live rock ,critters and fish,

if i were to do so i would start out with the live rock,ide be learning this salt water thing from scratch.

first sense i never shop for it ,whats the average price per pound?of the figi, and most of all what do the salt water fans like to see for a cost ?

just for kicks the seller sent me 17 pages of stuff ive never even heard of,,,tellin you truthfully ...i am a rookie

any advice would be appreciated

really no body wants to fill me up with knowledge?

i do know that some of the stores on my end of town here have stopped carrying the salt water stuff,

could it be that its a dying hobby?

im open to ideas

Doza

Its not dying.. Just more money to run salt and not as many ppl can do it.. Still lots of salt tanks out there just more freshwater ppl... Lots of mindless freshwater ppl... And little girls wanting a guppy or goldfish or betta for their 5 or 10 gallon...

Not sure if they really have figi live rock.. Id be Leary if they are pushing products onto you.. Specially figi rock...

Figi rock has been banned from import for a while now.. So i dont know what it would be... Aquacultured figi?? In that case if it was i wouldnt even consider it figi!..

I know petco sells a rock they call figi as well and looks nothing like a reef rock at all..

actually looking to see if it would be cost affective for me to try to deal with it ,

i haven't yet questioned the type of rock they re offering ,i do lots of business with these people ,

now that there's this type of response ,sure i will look into it ,but the prices of retail and wholesale is my basic quest @ this time ,

as i look there are many types of live rock that they offer ,

there is a very nice shop up the hill from me that is all salt ,he seems very expensive,

so i guess i need to get up off my can and shop the other stores

USMCtanker

Doza said:
Its not dying.. Just more money to run salt and not as many ppl can do it.. Still lots of salt tanks out there just more freshwater ppl... Lots of mindless freshwater ppl... And little girls wanting a guppy or goldfish or betta for their 5 or 10 gallon...

Not sure if they really have figi live rock.. Id be Leary if they are pushing products onto you.. Specially figi rock...

Figi rock has been banned from import for a while now.. So i dont know what it would be... Aquacultured figi?? In that case if it was i wouldnt even consider it figi!..

I know petco sells a rock they call figi as well and looks nothing like a reef rock at all..
lolol Lots of mindless freshwater ppl :laughhard: i bet my monsters would eat ur fish for a snack. there are some people that keep very rare an hard to keep fresh water monster species that even u prob never heard off. here is a peak of things i hope to get for my mindless freshwater fish bowl in my avatar :laughhard: :ihit:
but hey i always wanted to try salt water. but hey the day i feel like cute sea horses an pretty starfish ill go salt. all salt water ppl are so cute, i love there live colorfull rocks. i dont know but i know lots of monster fresh water keepers than spend dbl of what some salt water ppl do. lol funny tho didnt know there was a side. fresh water people an salt, i always figured we all fish keepers lol.
but hey regard my post. just a mindless freahwater ppl :laughhard: :ibox: :laughhard:

id give the rock a shot. start a small tank see if it works for ya, couldnt hurt. i have thought of starting one someday. but i wouldnt put to much into it tell u really know ur thing. but def start of slow. plus there still is lots of salt water ppl that know there stuff an can help u im sure. salt def is a whole nother world.

Doza

All i was saying is most of pet stores business comes from aquarists that you probably wouldnt see coming onto a site like this.. Ppl who dont have thousands invested into their tanks... People that really dont have any idea what they are doing and end up leaving the hobby out of frustration without putting any time into understanding what they are doing.. They dump money into a tank and than go out and buy the fish that the like and than they buy a oscar that will exceed a foot long and go and put it into their 29 gallon tank with their neons and guppies...

And and another point i was making is to be leary of the Figi rock they are selling and to find out what you are getting cause if you were knowledgeable at all you would know that figi rock has been made illegal to import..

And who gives a censored whos fish could eat whos... Guess what i bet i could eat your fish so what you think about that.

Did i say anything about a side when it came to freshwater and saltwater...

And its true that you will spend at least double the money to run a 55 gallon saltwater tank compared to run a equivalent 55 gallon freshwater.. Soo you know somebody that has a 500 or 1000 gallon tank... I dont give a censored how much he spent to set it up... Cause to set that same up to run a saltwater reef would cost twice as much...

So how about you take your arrogant ass coments else where..

USMCtanker

Doza said:
All i was saying is most of pet stores business comes from aquarists that you probably wouldnt see coming onto a site like this.. Ppl who dont have thousands invested into their tanks... People that really dont have any idea what they are doing and end up leaving the hobby out of frustration without putting any time into understanding what they are doing.. They dump money into a tank and than go out and buy the fish that the like and than they buy a oscat that will exceed a foot long and go and put it into their 29 gallon tank with their neons and guppies...

And and another point i was making is to be leary of the Figi rock they are selling and to find out what you are getting cause if you were knowledgeable at all you would know that figi rock has been made illegal to import..

And who gives a censored whos fish could eat whos... Guess what i bet i could eat your fish so what you think about that.

Did i say anything about a side when it came to freshwater and saltwater...

And its true that you will spend at least double the money to run a 55 gallon saltwater tank compared to run a equivalent 55 gallon freshwater.. Soo you know somebody that has a 500 or 1000 gallon tank... I dont give a censored how much he spent to set it up... Cause to set that same up to run a saltwater reef would cost twice as much...

So how about you take your arrogant ass coments else where..
lol true, most people dont do lots of research. most people on here keep crazy sweet things, some are an inch some a cpl feet some fresh an some salt. to me there all sweet an i want them all. but hey im just a mindless fresh water ppl, what do i know, i was just trying to say. even if its a girl with a goldfish an fish bowl, they might really love ther fish. yes lots of mindless fishkeepers out there, but must be just us freshwater ppl :joker: and as for me being arrogant ill take that i guess, as i meant no harm, just giveing my 2 cents.if u dont like it dont reply or give ur 2 cents. dont forget friend, sticks an stones. think we learn that in 3rd grade. or is it 4th now, we are adults.. have fun with ur nano tank or what ever there called lol an yes i know people that have 4000 plus gal tanks. lol. im not new to this, there is no sides. oh an some fish i have kept, u would need to worry about them eating u when there full grown, so ur comment is false. just throwing that out there. u should watch river monsters sometime. its a sweet show. but hey lets not jack his thread, he is a great seller. always will look for stuff when u need. but hey atm he just keeps freshwater with us mindless freshwater ppl. lol gets me everytime. anyway im done, look foward to seeing u around the forums. chow

lilfishie

PM me a list of what they are giving you to use. I can give you an idea what a reasonable price is.
An no saltwater hobby is not dying. It is on the rebound. People go in and out for different reasons, but usually always start back up again. It is a lot more fun an rewarding than freshwater IN MY OPINION, and I also keep 3 freshwater tanks beside my 5 saltwater tanks. It is alway worth giving saltwater a try, if your even a little bit interested. It does take a little more research if you want to keep stoney corals, but otherwise its just as easy as keeping a well planted FW tank.

lilfishie

Oh, and as I mentioned, my internet access is down at home until the evening of the18th, so I will only respond during my work hours when possible.
Sorry

Billiethekid

oh an some fish i have kept, u would need to worry about them eating u when there full grown, so ur comment is false.
can they shoot a gun??

And Seattle Transhipper lemme know if u start with saltwater... i might make a trip up to ya and peek at what u got as im plannin on startin in on a saltwater within the next year.

unconv-reefer

Seattle transhiper

Sorry you didn't get your questions answered right away, If you have any questions Lilfishie didn't answer ask again, I'm not always fast but will try to help or if you feel better PM me.

thank you very much ,as i go on studying the salt water stuff im sure they leave out practical experience ,i will be calling on you both for my apprenticeship ,so to speak.

even though im 45 i still really enjoy saying ,,,i don't know how ,,,,, around the rite people ,im very happy that the right people have arrived ,i will be in touch and thank you again

jeff

Doza said:

doza friend ,,,,ive been looking around and i really haven't found any literature that says figi import is banned ,can you direct me to some where i can find that out for myself?
thank you

ya man i didn't think it was illegal ,you see my original post ,my over seas vender wouldn't offer it if it was illegal i don't think.

some of the fish they offer are a different story,,,,

thanks dude

lilfishie

Fiji is not banned but Marshal island rock is. I have some marshal island rock. You can still find it, but it is no longer legal to collect it.
I still ask questions and read up on a lot of stuff. Its a continuous learning experience. And its a great time to get into the saltwater side of the hobby, with MAX coming to town for the first time. Its going to be soooo fun.
I'm happy to help with what ever I can.

Doza

http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=40 This is one area i found say it was banned could have sworn there was others... This is for dry rock.. And if dryy rock is banned i would have figured live would be as well...

I thought they said it was banned under their live rock section as well but they have nothing under their live rocks section ATM.

[url=http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/coral-reef-general-aquaria-news/34321-tongan-rock-ban.html:frkkuo9l]http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/coral-reef-general-aquaria-news/34321-tongan-rock-ban.html[/url] said:
There will be maricultured rock from there still. Which of course will mean that a lot of (illegal) natural wild rock will be shipped along with the maricultured rock. There have been agencies working to set up mariculture operations up just about every where. There has been maricultured rock shipped from there already, and there has been maricultured rock coming from Fiji for years, it is cultured lava rock (pumice stone).