Fahaka Puffer Hazy Eyes, Trouble Breathing. HELP

A

Anonymous

lymitliss said:
No, unfortunately the puffer died the next day. Since then I've been looking for the cause. As I suspected, the ammonia was not the problem. I found out recently that my PH levels were way out of spec. Close to 5.8, and I was not able to tell this with the test kit I had. I only found out after I brought tap water samples, and samples from two of my tanks into the store to have tested with a different kit.

Since I've lost so many fish over the past couple of months, I'm starting fresh. We're not absolutely sure what the cause was for my extremely low PH, especially since my tap water is perfect, but it's pointing towards the sediment hiding out in the pea gravel I had.

Today I started over, emptied my big tank completely using a shop vac and added in some fresh sand, and mixed crushed coral in hoping it will help regulate my PH. If the fish I have in there stay healthy, and the readings are acceptable then I will do the same to my other tank. Wish I had known all of this before I lost so many fish, but I'll get another puffer someday.
Bummer.... I went through a simular experiance as well with crashing parameters. I have used crushed coral in my filters now for a few years.

You can defiantly add crushed coral to your substrate. I did that in my smallest tank.
In my other tanks I have it in the filter system. What I did is waited a couple days after the water change and started adding packets (nylon socks) with the crushed coral. Adding about a half cup at a time until the PH levels stabilized right where I wanted it.
In my 140 there are so many factors that can flux paramiters such as decaying debris, CO2, a simple water change. Natural buffers work great in my opinion.

lymitliss

Yeah, I still think the bacteria had something to do with all of this, seeing as how my tanks were pretty good until the very day I added it. I will definitely never add bacteria to my tanks again.

As for wood, no I do not have any wood in my tank. Now my tank consists of sand, two pounds of crushed coral, a large cave looking rock and a java fern.

Too early to tell, but according to my new test strips the parameters seem to be getting closer to where they should be. I'll be keeping a close eye on it for a while.