Eyed up fish seeds...

clifford

These Spectrolebias brousseaui were bagged on February 1st. Kind of amazing to me they survived a 4000ish mile trip here, and then the camp-out in my office closet for almost 6 months with no water, and actually appear to be ready to hatch.

Magnification is x17, quality could be better, but not horrible for an iPhone.

Putting the dirt packet in water feels like planting fish seeds...

1.png

2.JPG

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I see you give a Latin name above.... What is this in layman terms?

clifford

A South American annual killifish, originally described population was in Bolivia, I believe.

I don't think there's a common name for them.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
That's awesome! I've read about kiili fish but have never experienced them first hand!

LuminousAphid

Wow that's crazy, nature is amazing! Incredible that they have eyes formed before even being in water. How long do you think they could conceivably last before they're no longer viable? I guess it might depend on the temperature and other factors- if you eventually get tons of 'seeds' in the future it might be an interesting (though I would maybe say cruel) experiment

clifford

My understanding is that once the egg hits diapause, under ideal conditions it could last for several years (or more?) in the dirt with no added water. (ideal conditions = not attacked by fungus, bacteria, etc, and assuming it's not completely desiccated. If it dries completely, it's dead)

clifford

Had a little more success on the killi front yesterday. Apparently I got lucky, and was able to collect eggs from adults grown up from the first set of South American killifish eggs I've ever tried, Rachocia sp. "Monteria" (looks like splendens to me, but I'm not a taxonomist).

The highlight of this project for me was acquiring these eggs from Frans Vermeulen, whose work was a huge part of my initial interest in South American annuals.

I had a rough setback with these guys early on-- I left the fry together as their sizes began to vary, and fairly quickly the largest males began to eat the smaller fry. From a batch of 30 eggs, around 15-20 hatched, of which around 8 were left when I realized what was happening . The first day of trouble I assumed they were all hiding, the second day I realized I had a problem. These fish grow unbelievably fast (as their average life-span is only a few months), and after the biggest male realized he could eat his tank mates, he went after the smallest ones relentlessly.

Funny thing, the small ones are the females. I netted out all the remaining fish I could find (all eight), and put them in a few different tanks to grow out (assuming if I had trouble in a particular tank, the other group might be ok). As I watched them color up over the next few weeks, male, male, male, male, male, male, male, unknown, I began to worry. Then, remarkably, 2 new fry appeared in the original tank where I had wet the peat. Literally, only two.

My last juvenile from the group of 8 started to show a bright red streak in his tail, and I knew I was in trouble, but after a month or so I had the pleasant discovery that the last two fry were a pair. The same built-in safeguards that keep these fish around in the wild protected them against my folly in the fish room, which I really appreciated.

So, to recap, 30+ eggs turned into (maybe) 20 fry, which quickly cut each other down to half, of which 1 was a female. That one blessed female has now given me around 35 eggs (more than I started with!), and will presumably/hopefully give a few more batches prior to passing on in a month or two.

In case anyone actually reads this...I'll ask for advice. The male from the lucky pair isn't the nicest looking of the group. He's small, and not as amazingly colored as some of his brothers. That said, I'm getting good eggs. If you were managing the group, now that there are at least some eggs in storage, would you pull the original male and introduce the biggest/prettiest (in this case, it's the same) male in case the colors are genetic? Do I even want fry from a male that knocked down so many of his siblings? (which may work fine if carefully managed, but could quickly be extinction if left to their own devices?)

Here's a horrible photo of the nice male. (that doesn't show any of the real colors, but that's what everyone says about fish photos, right?)

Currently breeding male doesn't have the full red fringe on the tail, and none of the aquamarine fringe on the fins.

IMG_5477.jpg

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
If it were me personally. If I was trying to improve the line. I'd have two spawning groups going. Tank A would be the sure thing... basically what's already working. Then tank B would be where I'm trying to put the prettiest together to make something better.

Otherwise I'd just do whatever is easier and enjoy what comes of it.