Excel vs. BBA, lessons learned

dleblanc

I posted this to a FB group, seemed like it might help people here, too -

I avoided disaster this weekend - here's what's going on, and how it has worked out. My 180 has new tank syndrome, and is getting algae. Most distressingly, it has lately been getting black beard algae. In my established tank, I have some, but it isn't everywhere. This was going everywhere, so I decided to do something about it.

There's not much that will eat this stuff, most fish that will aren't appropriate for discus, and worse yet, they'll only eat it when really hungry, and with enough food in the tank for 5 growing discus, 7 growing angels, and a bunch of tetras and corys, no chance they're going to eat very much. This leaves me with chemical warfare.

So I read up on this particular algae on plantedtank.net, people cited success with two methods - peroxide, and Seachem Excel. It also seemed like dosing was important, and there were reports of killing the fish.

Next, I went over Aquarium Co-op to get more advice. Cory had also heard of people having success with both approaches, and heard of people killing fish with both. If you can nearly drain a tank, and then go after the crud with peroxide in a squirt bottle, then fill it back up with fresh water and do a change, this seems to work well against BBA. In my 180 with a 30 gallon staging tank, this isn't an option.

Most people recommend a double dose of Excel to get rid of BBA, but Cory reported that a discus owning customer had a disaster this way, and lost a lot of fish. He did a double dose, went to bed, woke up in the morning to distressed fish, couldn't go into work late, so did nothing, came home from work to dead fish. He said there had been an ammonia spike.

I decided to use the product as advertised on the bottle, used the recommended initial dose, got up in the morning to happy fish, checked the water parameters - in my well-cycled tank, I had 0.25 ppm ammonia, and about 0.25 ppm nitrite. Happily, the BBA had gone from black to grey on the ends. I also checked dissolved oxygen levels, and everything was good there.

The bottle says you can dose daily at a lower dose once you hit the tank with the initial dose, but I decided not to until the ammonia and nitrite settle down. I checked again today, ammonia is back down to zero, but nitrite is up to 0.50. The BBA is continuing to die off, turning pink now.

If I'd just searched on this, and did what people on the net say, I believe I would have been looking at a disaster.

I think that if someone did want to try the double dose approach, I'd do it on a Saturday morning, come back in about 6-8 hours, do a massive water change, then do yet another before bed, and plan on very frequent water changes until the tank straightens out.

In some cases, the mass of dying algae can be a problem - I'm sure that isn't my case - there just isn't that much volume of the stuff. If someone were dealing with a heavier infestation, it could be a bigger problem.

If a regular dose did that to my water parameters on a well established tank with serious over capacity in a wet-dry filtered sump, I'm really glad I didn't go with the double dose, and the single dose seems to be effective.

tazeat

In my experience it usually means I need more co2 or fertilizers, keeping up with a good fertilizer regimine and it seems to clear up, manually removing what I can. SAEs help a little. I'm always weary of using things that will kill fish over a little algae.

dleblanc

I'm running 30 ppm CO2 (KH = 5, pH = 6.7), so that's about maxed out. I'm also adding enough fertilizer. Manual removal of about 200 spots in a 6 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot tank isn't very practical. This crud adheres to things, so can't just knock it off like green algae.

Given that my CO2 levels are this high, both in this tank and my 55, both of which have some BBA, and I do not have it at all in another tank without CO2 injection, I'm skeptical that lack of CO2 affects this algae.

I'm likewise wary of using chemicals - tends to be perilous, which is why I decided to be cautious, and go with the recommended dose and see what it did to the tank and the fish. Glad I did.

tazeat

Well nailing CO2 seems to be one of the biggest factors associated with BBA, make sure you're keeping it steady, no need to tinker with it once it's set, but try to get it set right. Be consistent with ferts and let it sort itself out. Sometimes it takes time. Here's what Tom Barr says about BBA:

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.ph ... -Knowledge

ETA: And it's not necessarily a lack of a CO2, it's a low CO2 level above that of a non-CO2 injected tank that triggers it's bloom.

dleblanc

I don't agree with Tom here. This tank's pH level varies by about 0.05 over the course of the day (and I have graphs to prove it), and is controlled with a pH controller. CO2 levels are not low, or fluctuating. KH is kept steady, is tested, and the water that is added comes from a RO/DI which is then made up to the correct KH prior to every water change. If pH and KH are steady, then CO2 is by definition steady. I was running it a little higher, but decided I was going through too much CO2, and backed off just a little.

I've also seen quite a bit of it in fish stores that do not have CO2 in their non-planted stock tanks. I just don't see a correlation with CO2.

He does seem to have a wealth of experience, but what he believes causes this is demonstrably not the case here.

Evad

I registered to this site just to say THANK YOU for posting this, as I also have a 180gal freshwater planted tank and due to some health reasons was unable to give it the time and attention it needs over the past few months, which has resulted in a BBA explosion. Yesterday I started the process of Excel dosing and peroxide and will let you know how it turns out. I do not use CO2 so it will be interesting to see if I experience different results. The fish are happy and the tank is understocked so this is really just about getting the plants in order. I have also spent time this week with Cory and got his take on the situation. So glad I found Cory and this site in the same week!

Madness

Staff member
Nice to have you aboard Evad, please take some time when you are able and introduce yourself in the introduction section and tell us all about you and what you have going on.

Welcome

A

Anonymous

Evad said:
I registered to this site just to say THANK YOU for posting this, as I also have a 180gal freshwater planted tank and due to some health reasons was unable to give it the time and attention it needs over the past few months, which has resulted in a BBA explosion. Yesterday I started the process of Excel dosing and peroxide and will let you know how it turns out. I do not use CO2 so it will be interesting to see if I experience different results. The fish are happy and the tank is understocked so this is really just about getting the plants in order. I have also spent time this week with Cory and got his take on the situation. So glad I found Cory and this site in the same week!
:spoton: Welcome. I hope you get a chance for a intro sometime and share pictures of your planted 180.

dleblanc

It has been interesting - it took forever for the nitrites to disappear in the 180, but when I dosed the 55, there was no bad effect at all - which is peculiar - both are running CO2, kept at the same pH and KH, but the 55 is a canister filter, the 180 a wet-dry sump. Just noticed that the BBA has not come back at all in the 55, but it is trying to in the 180. I've been dosing Excel at the lower dose every other day for a few days, we will see what happens.

Oh, and welcome! Cory has been a fantastic resource, wouldn't have gotten this far without him!

Evad

Update: The BBA is no longer growing and slowly dying but now I have this long stringy green algae growing EVERYWHERE! Will do some more water changes over the weekend but not sure what is causing this new algae problem? I am wondering if it could be my photo period is too long. I have added some lighting recently and so the increased lighting plus the fact that I have a 12 hour photo period might be causing the problem. Any advice is appreciated.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Mostly caused by imbalance. Reducing light to 10 hours may help. Are you dosing fertilizers besides excel? With more lighting and the excel there is probably a higher demand for nutrients.

Evad

Only dosing excel at this time. Have some Flourish but I am not using at the moment. I think the root cause of the new algae problem is the fact that I had to replace one of my canister filters and the new one hasn't cycled yet. This is causing the one canister filter to take on the full bioload of the tank and I suspect its taking longer for the water column to be converted to nitrates. I am testing and doing more frequent water changes to weather this storm.

In the meantime, I have actually INCREASED the amount of light and shortened the photo period. I also decided to just start pulling all plants that I couldn't remove the algae. I will wait a few days and see if the green stuff continue to show up or if we might be getting somewhere in this battle.

dleblanc

Try to resist pulling plants - if the plants are doing well, then they will out compete the algae. Too much light can certainly be a problem.

Evad

Sorry what I meant by that is I started pulling plants that were so covered in algae that I could no longer remove it from the plant. Are you saying I should still leave the plant in place?

dleblanc

Sorry about the late reply, but yeah - this is a tough problem - the algae covers the plant, kills the plant, plant decays, feeds more algae, and down we go. Kind of depends on the algae - some algae likes dying leaves more, won't be found on new leaves. Best case is that you remove the algae from the plant, leave the plant.

The core issue you're trying to fight is that if the plants are going to outcompete the algae, they have to be there at least trying. What I've experienced is that most severe algae problems pass given time. Little bits will persist, but they are a nuisance.