Evolution of a 29 gallon planted tank

A

Anonymous

Re: Evolution of a 29 gallon planted tank

PokeSephiroth said:
Ahhhh that looks like a neat project!
Mmm new planted tank! That log looks great!
Thanks Poke. It's my favorite log. A small form Anubias (plant is seen full grown), and Java fern 'Windelov'. It'll probably be another 3 days before the tank clears, lol. Tonight I'll be vacuuming the plants once again. It looks like Mount St Helens ash storm in the tank now....

A

Anonymous

PokeSephiroth said:
Would that be Anubias Nana Petite? I have some that are...well, small. LOL
No its not petite. I picked it from Aquarium co-op. Cory brought it in from his own tanks I believe, and - I think he called it small form, or dwarf?! Not sure. Maybe he will chime in. The leaves are a tear drop shape like Nana but the leaf size is in between Nana normal form and petite. I would say the leaves don't get any larger than half dollar pieces. Most stay around the size of a quarter. It's a nice plant.

Here is an updated picture of this tank. I conducted a water change vacuuming all the plants off. Just dumping the used wet substrate in made a heck of a mess. You can say this is an evil scientist experiment mixing substrates...

I'd say that, that would be Nana Petite... it's the smallest form of Anubias I know of. Hrmmm...

A

Anonymous

PokeSephiroth said:
I'd say that, that would be Nana Petite... it's the smallest form of Anubias I know of. Hrmmm...
True Anubias Nana petite leaves won't get any bigger than the size of a dime with most of the leaves being even smaller than a dime.  I have the petite ver. in my 9.5 . If I get the opportunity I'll snap a photo of both versions side by side. Actually i do have 3 versions. The normal sized Nana, 'small form' and petite. It's like having anubias nana small medium and large :)

The reason I started calling this plant Nana 'small form' is because I've seen a plant that someone was calling Anubias nana 'dwarf' . And the plant I seen was  a mature cluster with Nana shaped leaves but was smaller than the petite. Noticeably smaller, each leaf was the size of a pencil eraser.

A

Anonymous

When 'dirting' a tank goes wrong... Or, when you dirt a tank wrong.... DOH!

B

big01612

Wow. Did you mineralized the dirt first and put 1 inch to 1 inch or 2 inch dirt to 1.5 inch cap?

A

Anonymous

No. The dirt I got was in 'mud' form. I put it in as handful clumps and dug in the existing substrate with my fist. Then covered. So, I did it in a unconventional way. If you click to previous pages you can see the death cloud it created. I did clear it up as much as possible with water changes but had to leave for a camping trip soon after. I think whatever debris was left floating settled on leaves then killed the plants. The plants will come back, but damn....

A

Anonymous

Tank redo yesterday. I ripped all the dead off the log. Trying to save the small form Anubias and Java 'windluv' by attaching new growth ryhzomes onto rocks. Had to do a water transfusion just to get it this clear.

Cleaned out the HOB now I cant get it to stop rattling. Any ideas to get it to stop rattling? I may go pick up a small canister. Because of the position of the tank the HOB is kind of difficult to get to. So if I get a canister and extend the lines a bit I could put the canister next to my sump which would be very convenient. Also a spray bar or Lilly pipes would be a nice addition.

A

Anonymous

fishNAbowl said:
Cleaned out the HOB now I cant get it to stop rattling. Any ideas to get it to stop rattling?

Guess I didn't push the impeller shaft all the way in during reassembly. Pulled the filter apart, pushed the shaft in the rest of the way, slapped filter back together. No more rattling! :D Just thought I would share incase any others out there had the same issue.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
fishNAbowl said:
fishNAbowl said:
Cleaned out the HOB now I cant get it to stop rattling. Any ideas to get it to stop rattling?

Guess I didn't push the impeller shaft all the way in during reassembly. Pulled the filter apart, pushed the shaft in the rest of the way, slapped filter back together. No more rattling! :D Just thought I would share incase any others out there had the same issue.

haha you and me both! I've done this a few times, when my mom called me one day with the same problem this was my first question. Fixed hers too. I've got one though that got sand in it and created grooves in the magnet(i think) which caused noise and vibration as well. Once switched out, back to quiet. Glad your filter is better and the tank looks better too!

I got some advice from a well experienced fish keeper and breeder that Sun Sun canister filters are easy and cheap but very effective. I found one for my 75 gallon that's rated up to 150 gallons for about $85.

A

Anonymous

I looked around at canisters. In the end it's room to put a canister that limits me unless I want it sitting outside of the stand . That would be okay but trying to avoid that. Since the HOB is quiet now I am satisfied. I also installed a plastic bottle cut and put under the water return to disperse water flow so it's not knocking back ground plants around. Works great!

hose91

fishNAbowl said:
I also installed a plastic bottle cut and put under the water return to disperse water flow so it's not knocking back ground plants around. Works great!

I'd love to see some details on this with pictures. I think I understand what you're doing here, but a picture or two would really help. I have an AC30 in a 10G that beats up some of my plants and this might help that, thanks!

A

Anonymous

Hi hose91,
An idea I got from a post made by cichlidgal. I think this DYI fix will work for you too.

A plastic water bottle with the top and bottom cut out, cut to fit right into the water return outlet. Cut a slit up the middle. The water bottle holds its curved shape. The curve hung under the water fall will redirect water to curl under the HOB. Water will then be dispersed under and out each side of the bottle modification.

Attaching the bottle; I had to just figure it out. I am sure there are more than a few ways but for me the VersaTop fits real snug next to the HOB so I was able to pin the plastic bottle inbetween then used a screw driver to keep things snug for a quick DYI finish.

A

Anonymous

I have this crypt called 'pink flamingo' . If googled you'll find many shades of pink people have pulled out of this plant. This journal entry is about me trying to pull that fabulous pink out of the leaves. Here is a picture I borrowed from Crypt Addiction. This is my goal.

In my 140 gallon they look cool. Tiger striped green ruffled leaves on top and a light shade of pink under the leaves.

The goal: To get that light pink color I see others obtaining. So I planted a little starter in my 29 gallon.

Then boosted up lighting a little bit.
LOL!

Now let's see what happens...

MRTom

OMG those boosted lights... Can you imagine doing that with T5HOs? Good luck growing that pink shade you want! :)

A

Anonymous

MRTom said:
OMG those boosted lights... Can you imagine doing that with T5HOs? Good luck growing that pink shade you want! :)

Lighting is probably over kill MRTom. I just put every available light I had space for. The lights are also hung about 9 inches from the top so I am probably loosing some par values due to that. Also I put all my A.R. mini in this tank. So my goal is to turn that plant into a deep red while stunting, and turning it into a bush. Then transplanting some in the 140 as forground highlights.

:D