Emersed java moss

Betty

Staff member
I have a small betta tank that I keep in the kitchen window (no betta lives in it). I had put a few houseplant clippings in there to root and one day I tossed in a little java moss that had accidentally gotten siphoned out during a water change. It's been in there for a long time now and the moss has grown into a solid mass that's growing over the edge and out of the tank. The roots of the plants are woven in, so I've just left it as is.

017%201280x853_zpsokoqeata.jpg

I take it out of the tank once in a while. This is it sitting on the counter on its own while I was cleaning out the tank. It holds it shape and is fairly sturdy.

003%201280x853_zpsnztpfrlm.jpg

008%201280x853_zps2fpm7vka.jpg

012%201280x853_zpssy09xr24.jpg

Back in its container. I should trim those plant roots and get a bigger tank soon!

013%201280x853_zpscyb3s4v6.jpg

014%201280x853_zpsq5hkq2t0.jpg

013%201280x853_zpscyb3s4v6.jpg

Madness

Staff member
That is awesome Betty. That would look good in one of my tanks, not sure which one though. lol

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I almost bought a purple heart plant while at Lowes buying bricks. I have a feeling I could grow it out of an aquarium. But thought I should do more research. I really want to do more with house plants and aquariums.

Madness

Staff member
I almost bought a purple heart plant while at Lowes buying bricks. I have a feeling I could grow it out of an aquarium. But thought I should do more research. I really want to do more with house plants and aquariums.

As do I Cory, just need more time to change some things up. Hopefully next Summer I can either add onto my existing fish room, or build a 35'x25' metal garage in the back yard and turn that into my new fish room. If that happens it will be equipped with the ability to do this, centralized air for all tanks, a main drain set up and an automatic water fill to make water changes quicker and easier.

Betty

Staff member
I really like the way the java moss is growing straight up instead of the jumbled mess it is in my tank.

I've been interested in house plants in aquariums also. I can't keep aquatic plants alive, so maybe that would be worth a try. I've seen some in filters that seem to do well.