Egg Tumbler Ideas

sandnuka

Ok, I have several ideas from several people about a good tumbler.... I had purchased mine from a guy on ebay last time, so never made my own... anyway, I bet allot of our members have great ideas for egg tumblers. Please post your idea/instructions, hopefully pictures too. :)

Looking forward to hearing everyones response.

larry.beck

I've built my own and used them - worked fine - but to be honest, I just bought 3 from jrogo on aquabid a month or two ago because I really liked the quality that he produces. They've all been put into service since then and work beautifully - much more handy to use than my DIYs.

Betty

Staff member
I don't know how great of an idea mine was, but I needed one in a hurry and didn't have time to make something nice, so I used extra parts to make one real quickly.

Normally, I do not strip at any point in the holding period. I prefer to let the mom hold full term, but once in a while there is a need.

I used a sponge filter that was already running in a fry tank. Then I found the tubes to an old undergravel filter and was able to slide a piece of it partially down into the sponge's tube. I had some netting material leftover from covering filter intakes in fry tanks and slid that over the openings, top and bottom, to keep the eggs/fry inside the tube.

It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

28354a2f.jpg

IMG_50212.jpg

Day 4
IMG_50593.jpg

Day 7
IMG_51102.jpg

Day 8
IMG_51152.jpg

A

Anonymous

Dude, talk to "me" he uses a frikkin strainer and an air stone! My Mpimbwe were reared that way and they are AWESOME SAUCE!

Betty

Staff member
Yeah, that's what they are. They were so mean, they were chasing around in the tumbler.

A

Anonymous

I had an Auratus spit her fry when I was taking her out to isolate her in a fry tank. All my other Mbuna ate them in seconds..lol.

larry.beck

Spyral said:
Dude, talk to "me" he uses a frikkin strainer and an air stone! My Mpimbwe were reared that way and they are AWESOME SAUCE!
That works when you have a tank you can dedicate to it, but when you're putting them in with anything older than 1 week you risk them being bitten through the container, sucked out through the holes, etc. Crazy cichlids! :shock:

sandnuka

LOVE ALL THE IDEAS SO FAR! Keep 'em coming guys.... I was thinkin of using the intake tube on my xp2.... it has like indivual chambers to make it longer... this way I can stack em depending on how many eggs I stripped :) ....

but, Its just a thought, I want to hear more! and pictures are great! gives me a visual.

shua

Spyral said:
this is what i was going to suggest

sandnuka

Ok, I did it!! needed something quick, and I really liked the intake from the HOB idea, to do like multiple chambers but, I walked in my garage.... laying right in front of me a old gravel vacume that had cracked at the end....

1. I cut it down.... so it was only about 4 inches

2. put some screen I got from fred meyer for 50 cents on the bottom and taped it.

3. Heated up a big nail with a lighter and punched a hole into the top side.

4. Stuck some air tubing inside, perfect fit!

5. Pulled off the hose that went to the vacume nosel and covered that whole with some more screen there too.... (So the bubbles could get out, but not the eggs)

And there we have it! basically free egg tumbler... and it looks great, besides the tape.. lol, I need to figure out a way to keep the screen on without tape, it will look allot better. OH, and the green top part comes off, so I can put the eggs in there. :) Keep more ideas coming, this is only a temp bubbler anyway.

diy_tu10.jpg

icer711

hey if you use that put a screen at the top under the green thing i lost all mine that were in one almost identical to that they bubbled out the top :( they were going to be cool fish to :(.... oh well thats how it goes

sandnuka

The screen is sharp on the edges, thats why i went with tape instead of rubber bands.... its not a net :) Maybe like electrician tape... one thin line around the edge of the screen... probably look better than the tape all crumbled on there! Or a really thick rubber band that will cover the edge all the way around

A

Anonymous

I like the tumbler, sand. I'll need one some day..way far in the future..lol