Dwarf Cichlids are still cichlids ...

dwarfpike

Dwarf Cichlids are still cichlids ...

Ever notice the best times for pics seems to be when your tank is all nasty?

So currently these are my only fish, a pair of Laetacara araguaiae ... one of the dwarf acaras. I had the room lights out to watch a movie and noticed the male was out and glassbanging his reflection, all two and a half inches of him. So since he is usually hiding from me, as he is the more shy of the pair, I grabbed the roomy's point and shoot. These are some of best looking shots of the fish (not the tank!) I've gotten of any of the fish I've had. A DSLR is on the list when some free money comes up.

The tank doesn't usually look this bad btw, it is coming off a total rescape after a 5 24 hour light binge. The reason for this is this pair had their first group of eggs recently, and the free hit the free swimming stage right as I was going out of town to house/dog sit. So I figured the extra light would encourage algae growth (which it did far more than I thought) and allow the free something to nibble on. Sadly only about 12 fry survived by the time I got home, and the next day none were to be found. The rescape was due to the male showing aggression to the female, wanting to breed again. You'll notice some fraying on her tail fin and slight scale damage under her dorsal fin. Didn't even get a chance to rewipe down the inside of the glass.

But the reason for the title is the fact that while I was trying to take these pics, the male was busy glassbanging his reflection even though the female was courting him. She even gave him a few fairly strong hits ... didn't phase him at all. :lol:  The pics show the female's purple and copper tones which couldn't be seen in my previous photos of them. The point and shoot was not up to the task of getting him with gills full spread and actually hitting the glass.

The pair:
pair.jpg

The male:
male01.jpg

The female:
female0.jpg

The female with the out of focus male flaring:
female.jpg

One more with the male acting all tough:
gb.jpg

Madness

Staff member
Re: Dwarf Cichlids are still cichlids ...

your acara's are looking great, keep it up.

cichlid-gal

Beautiful pair. I hope the next spawn goes better for you. And my L. robertsi pair have the copper tones to them also...it is hard to catch on film but so stunning in person. Love the purple of this pair...I like it much better than the blue variant.

A

Anonymous

"Dwarf  Cichlids are still cichlids"

I agree! I get lip locking between my Dwarf pikes and largest Apistogrammas. The males battle it out once in a while flairing up, boasting fins and colors. No damage as of yet between species.

What's cool about dwarfs is they have the same attitudes as their large cousins but what's neat is when I house dwarfs in a 140 gallon tank is like Maddness putting his Dovii in a 1500 gallon tank & being able to put in other species :)This is one of the reasons I switched to dwarfs from large cichlids. I wasn't able to have a bunch of tanks & my large cichlids at the time kept making my large tank into species only tanks...lol!

These Acara are awesome & would love the opportunity to house this species.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

Cichlids have attitude and personality no matter what their size. Though not a dwarf, I kept a solo male convict in a 29g tank. Tons of personality out of the little guy. Kind of miss having a non-monster sized fish at times.

sea1

Dwarf cichlids are my favorite! Nice looking pair you have.

anthony

Hey Those fish are nice! I don't even think I've seen those in a book before.

Lamental Jester

dwarfpike said:
But the reason for the title is the fact that while I was trying to take these pics, the male was busy glassbanging his reflection even though the female was courting him. She even gave him a few fairly strong hits ... didn't phase him at all. :lol
If I had a nickel for everytime a girl was flirting with me but I was too busy yelling at myself in the mirror to notice...

...anyways, love the colors on those guys!  Great pics :spoton:

dwarfpike

CrazedAce said:
I like them. They look like they are smiling. :)
Heh. I haven't heard that term in a while. Back in the 90's Laetacara were known as smiling acaras actually.

Madness said:
your acara's are looking great, keep it up.
Thanks Madness. I wasn't sure they are large enough for you to notice them. :p 

cichlid-gal said:
Beautiful pair.  I hope the next spawn goes better for you.  And my L. robertsi pair have the copper tones to them also...it is hard to catch on film but so stunning in person.  Love the purple of this pair...I like it much better than the blue variant.
Oooh. I saw your L. robertsi videos over on CF!!! Love those guys. Westies are so under rated. I have to agree with you about the purple race, even though I prefer blue. The blues have gold, and these have copper. Copper is such a rare color to see on fish. It's why Harlequin Rasboras are one of my favorite dither fish.

dwarfpike

fishNAbowl said:
"Dwarf  Cichlids are still cichlids"

I agree! I get lip locking between my Dwarf pikes and largest Apistogrammas. The males battle it out once in a while flairing up, boasting fins and colors. No damage as of yet between species.

What's cool about dwarfs is they have the same attitudes as their large cousins but what's neat is when I house dwarfs in a 140 gallon tank is like Maddness putting his Dovii in a 1500 gallon tank & being able to put in other species :)This is one of the reasons I switched to dwarfs from large cichlids. I wasn't able to have a bunch of tanks & my large cichlids at the time kept making my large tank into species only tanks...lol!

These Acara are awesome & would love the opportunity to house this species.
Yeah, sometimes it's nice seeing them being able to act natural in a big tank. But I usually don't have the self control to do that, the bigger tank I get ... the bigger the cichlids I get. :D 

DMD123 said:
Cichlids have attitude and personality no matter what their size. Though not a dwarf, I kept a solo male convict in a 29g tank. Tons of personality out of the little guy. Kind of miss having a non-monster sized fish at times.
Truely. It's kind of sad you can't buy actual convicts anymore without paying large shipping fees though. :( 

sea1 said:
Dwarf cichlids are my favorite!  Nice looking pair you have.
Danke!!!

anthony said:
Hey Those fish are nice! I don't even think I've seen those in a book before.
They used to go by Laetacara sp. 'Buckelkopf' ... and when first imported, they were the blue and gold race instead of these purple and copper ones.

Lamental Jester said:
If I had a nickel for everytime a girl was flirting with me but I was too busy yelling at myself in the mirror to notice...

...anyways, love the colors on those guys!  Great pics :spoton:
You know ... I can totally see that for some strange reason. :joker: 

And thanks!!!

MorganEA

Lamental Jester said:
typical guy...:lol!:

DwarfPike I just recently found out about dwarf cichlids, I love my GBR he has the best personality!

Anthraxx

loving those dwarfs. plenty of goodies in that tank to feed some babies. i dont see how some like these big ole cichlids, its my dwarf shellies that always give me a run for my money. still startles me everytime one bites me, despite keeping shellies on and off for nearly a decade :p. theyre like dovii but packed into a neat little 1 inch package

dwarfpike

MorganEA said:
Lamental Jester said:
typical guy...:lol!:

DwarfPike I just recently found out about dwarf cichlids, I love my GBR he has the best personality!
The mirrors love us, what can we say? :lol:  And yeah, the nice thing about dwarves is you get all that personality and can still have plants.

Anthraxx said:
loving those dwarfs. plenty of goodies in that tank to feed some babies. i dont see how some like these big ole cichlids, its my dwarf shellies that always give me a run for my money. still startles me everytime one bites me, despite keeping shellies on and off for nearly a decade :p. theyre like dovii but packed into a neat little 1 inch package
It was very faint, but I could still hear him when he hit the glass a few times. Found that amusing actually. I actually do love the big cichlids, I've just always been limited in living conditions that forced smaller tanks on me. Thus the dwarf cichlids.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member

very nice dwarfs! they have great color with a nice amount of blue. im guessing they are more aggressive than apistos with the glass banging and all

dwarfpike

lloyd378 said:
very nice dwarfs!  they have great color with a nice amount of blue.  im guessing they are more aggressive than apistos with the glass banging and all
Yeah, they are more feisty than apistos ... but honestly I was rather shocked he was doing it. I've had a dwarf pike cichlid do it before, but I've kept two other Laetacara before and neither species ever pulled that trick off.

dwarfpike

At it again ...
eggs.jpg

Female fanning:
fmfanning.jpg

Sorry about the date stamp, didn't realize the roomy re-enabled it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Congrats on the babies. :clap: