Dumb Question...

Llovsbarbie

So here I am wondering if it is okay if I clean the glass of my tank with the fear of killing my Copepods. I use the magnet cleaner and now realize how scared I am to wipe it down.
Is there any certain way I should clean or is this no biggy. I must sound silly, but I am really wanting to get it populated.

lilfishie

There are tons of pods living in the rock. If there are any on the glass they will scatter when you run the mag cleaner just from the rush of water from the movement of the cleaner. It will not affect the pod population. Do you have a sump? Stock your sump with them. They will breed there. Feed them phytoplankton.

Llovsbarbie

No I dont have a sump for my 56 gallon. I just have a canister filter and actually was considering getting a HOB ref. I have loads of rock in there and their own little pile. I also have tiny white coiled things on the glass. Worms I assume. Know what I am talking about and anything to worry over? Thanks.

lilfishie

No nothing to worry about. The worms are good filter feeders, but you will have enough of them that if you dont like them on the glass you can scrape them off.
There should be pleanty of area for the pods to breed, but a HOB Refug would be cool.

Adonijah

If you had copepods in your sump would they travel to your tank and also populate there? Just wondering, I want a manderine goby when it's my time to get SW going

lilfishie

Adonijah said:
If you had copepods in your sump would they travel to your tank and also populate there? Just wondering, I want a manderine goby when it's my time to get SW going
Yes they do. That is the ideal way to keep the pod population going. They can reproduce more in the sump becuase its a safer environment.