Duboisi Cichlids

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyp3rcrav3

I seem to recall that these are hard to find.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
I seem to recall that these are hard to find.

Not really, and they will not thrive unless kept in a group of at least 8-10 individuals. And as for being similar to Paratilapia bleekeri (Starry Night), that's crazy, as they have nothing in common except for their pattern of light spots on a dark background, and even that is true of T. duboisi only as juveniles. :rolleyes:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Are they really 18 a piece typically? If so... getting a colony of 10 is a costly endeavor . I do love their juvenile looks but I have never seen them live as adults but I hear the blue face with the yellow vertical line/ segment is supposed to be amazing.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Are they really 18 a piece typically? If so... getting a colony of 10 is a costly endeavor . I do love their juvenile looks but I have never seen them live as adults but I hear the blue face with the yellow vertical line/ segment is supposed to be amazing.
Yes, getting into Tropheus can be expensive. 1-1.5" TR fishes typically sell for $20-30 each, and you really can't maintain them successfully except in a colony of ~10 or more individuals. T. duboisi is popular because it is relatively undemanding, but it is my least favourite Tropheus species- they're cute when they're little, but... That said, 'Maswa' is the most attractive (and popular) T. duboisi population.

Tropheus-Duboisi-Maswa.jpg
For my money, I much prefer Tropheus sp. 'black' Ikola-

t-sp-black_ikola_03.jpg

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
LFD just listed Tropheus duboisi Halembe for sale for $30 each for <2" fishes. The pic is of juveniles.

starry-night.jpg

Last edited:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The small fish store I worked for part time when I first entered the hobby had a breeding colony of T.D. I still think these are some of the most beautiful fish I have seen. Those prices though do keep a lot of hobbyists including me from keeping them.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
The small fish store I worked for part time when I first entered the hobby had a breeding colony of T.D. I still think these are some of the most beautiful fish I have seen. Those prices though do keep a lot of hobbyists including me from keeping them.
That's one of the reasons most Tropheus keepers get their fishes from other hobbyists. Of all the different Tropheus I've kept over the years, most have come from other hobbyists. Not only does that make the fishes more affordable, but it also allows access to rarer forms that are largely absent from the commercial market. It's also advantageous for the breeders, because it ensures that their fishes will be properly cared for. When I was breeding Tropheus seriously, I would not sell fishes to anyone who wasn't prepared to maintain them properly. These days, I raise them for myself, or for other hobbyists, by request. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.