Dropsy

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I have lost a few of the zebra danios to dropsy and was hoping that by just removing the effected fish it would not pass on to the rest of the fish. I have now moved the entire population to the hospital tank as dropsy can be treated with kanaplex. I will leave the tank at 3 dose level for a couple more days and then drain the tank and start the dose schedule over again. I wish this were a female fat with eggs :(
PXL_20201221_181457821.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
That's a shame. Kanaplex works well if you catch it early, but I wouldn't be too optimistic about a fish as badly affected as that female. Fingers crossed. :sick

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Epsom Salt treatment may help too. Not regular salt but Epsom. Make sure its a plain type not a bath type with added essential oils. Ive seen a ton of different info as to dosage with 1/8 teaspoon per 5 gallon left in tank to 2.5 teaspoon per 10 gallon for a bath. I would do some more research on the dose but Epsom salt in conjunction with the Kanaplex should help.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Epsom Salt treatment may help too. Not regular salt but Epsom. Make sure its a plain type not a bath type with added essential oils. Ive seen a ton of different info as to dosage with 1/8 teaspoon per 5 gallon left in tank to 2.5 teaspoon per 10 gallon for a bath. I would do some more research on the dose but Epsom salt in conjunction with the Kanaplex should help.

I do have non-bath epsom. Might be worth the effort.

FishBeast

Chiming in from a physiology standpoint:
Epsom salt may help but it only does so temporarily because it draws the excess fluid out (almost like a diuretic or "water pill" in humans). To my knowledge it really doesn't cure anything...

Dropsy is ascites (fluid in the abdominal cavity) from kidney failure. The reason it is often fatal is that even if whatever caused it is gone, the damage can be irreversible (unless a kidney transplant can be performed). :(

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Chiming in from a physiology standpoint:
Epsom salt may help but it only does so temporarily because it draws the excess fluid out (almost like a diuretic or "water pill" in humans). To my knowledge it really doesn't cure anything...

Dropsy is ascites (fluid in the abdominal cavity) from kidney failure. The reason it is often fatal is that even if whatever caused it is gone, the damage can be irreversible (unless a kidney transplant can be performed). :(

Well, I guess I now know what course of action to take with those fish that are showing bloat. :(

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
If I leave the tank empty of inhabitants for 2-4 weeks will it be safe to reinhabit? I have been considering a redue. I don't want to lose the plants so I would do a meth blue dip if I tear down the tank.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
If I leave the tank empty of inhabitants for 2-4 weeks will it be safe to reinhabit? I have been considering a redue. I don't want to lose the plants so I would do a meth blue dip if I tear down the tank.

The bacteria that cause 'dropsy' are present in all freshwater aquaria, and just removing the fishes won't change that. Like many diseases of aquarium fishes, it is not the presence of a potential pathogen that is the issue, it is the fishes inability to combat the infection that is problematic. In this sense 'dropsy; is similar to 'bloat' in African cichlids. The real issue in both cases is a compromised immune system in the fishes, not the presence of a pathogen. 'Stress' is the blanket term used to describe why fishes succumb to these diseases, but 'stress' can be caused by many factors, as you know. Good luck!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The bacteria that cause 'dropsy' are present in all freshwater aquaria, and just removing the fishes won't change that. Like many diseases of aquarium fishes, it is not the presence of a potential pathogen that is the issue, it is the fishes inability to combat the infection that is problematic. In this sense 'dropsy; is similar to 'bloat' in African cichlids. The real issue in both cases is a compromised immune system in the fishes, not the presence of a pathogen. 'Stress' is the blanket term used to describe why fishes succumb to these diseases, but 'stress' can be caused by many factors, as you know. Good luck!

So, how long do you think I should wait before reintroducing fish?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
This stuff sucks. Euthanized another honey gourami yesterday, 95% water change and lowered the temp in the cube.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Is this dropsy? She was getting bullied in the 140g so I moved her to the rack. She eats but is rather round.PXL_20220521_001435789.jpgPXL_20220521_001428612.jpgPXL_20220521_001414685.jpgPXL_20220521_001359204.jpg