Drip systems...

Orthopod

Anyone set one of these up on a big tank? - I would like to set up a 100 gallon a day change on my bigger tanks. I’m not sure my plumbing skills are up to the task. Any advice from someone who solved this conundrum?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
One tank or multiple tanks? A picture or two of you fish room would help. Cory of Aquarium Coop has a video of the system he set up in his garage.

Orthopod

One tank or multiple tanks? A picture or two of you fish room would help. Cory of Aquarium Coop has a video of the system he set up in his garage.
For my 2 largest tanks the 450 that is a total of 605 with a 90 gallon sump and a 65 gallon aquarium plumbed in and for my 390 gallon with 75 gallon sump.

C0C44730-2C41-4269-B8FF-EB4F878CDB3E.jpeg C64093A5-17B5-465D-81B3-5D83877843C7.jpeg

Orthopod

Drain is right out side the door which I Use to empty the ultima into when I do water changes - I drop each tank at least down 80% each week and backwash it through the ultima to clean the filter.

ACDE15B3-762C-4CC4-8B2A-517604D7122D.jpeg 339ABECC-DB25-46C6-BA96-53F495B775CA.jpeg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I would drill both sumps and add a 3/4in bulkhead and run a drain line to you drain. I would run filtered/RODI/treated water to the main tank. You could add directly to the sump but I don’t think that would be as effective. Standard slope for a drain is 1/8-1/4in per foot to maintain flow.

Modest_Man

I am in the process of figuring this out myself. I think no matter what I will need two 100% separate drain lines as a fail safe if one ends up plugged. Pretty easy for debris to block or restrict a drain and then flood the room.

Mine is in a shop (less oversight) and I will have to also figure out if I need to heat/treat the water before adding it to the tank. Drip volume is low enough it probably wouldn't be an issue but it's all stuff I am thinking about now.

Adding the drip itself is super easy, just use drip irrigation parts and get it setup for the volume you want. I.E. 2x 2GPH drips running 24x7 will give you close to the 100 gallons a day you want. Tee into your existing water line and reduce it down for the fitting.

Orthopod

Got it set up and more importantly, it’s working!!

115 gallons a day on the 450 and 80 on the other slightly smaller tank.