Drilling Acrylic, which bit?

me

Hi all, I am debating drilling 3 of my tanks, but am a bit nervous as one is a 125, and if I cracked it I would not be very happy. Is there a special bit for doing this? Any advice?

Todd

hbluehunter

I've drilled lots of acrylic, and it's super easy.. Was a little scared the first time but after that it's a breeze.. Just take it slow.... I just went to Lowes or HD can't remember which and bought the normal hole cutting bit and it worked like a champ.. Make sure you get the one that the hole drilling part unbolts from the center drill bit though. After you drill out the hole the hole part usually get's melted to the inside of the hole bit and you have to kinda bang it out..lol

lilfishie

Thats what I used too, was a hole bit for cutting holes in wood doors for the door lock. I first cut a hole the same size in a piece of wood that I could set the bit into to hold it in one place when I started the drill. Those bits will want to take of accros the acrylic surface. Attach the wood to the surface by clamp or something to keep it from moving and also put masking tape on the area you are cutting. Keep it wet! Have someone keep pouring water on it while you are drilling to keep it cool or it will melt and your drill bit will get stuck in it. Then drill medium speed. Not too slow but not full speed. Medium - light pressure depending on how thick it is. You dont want to bend the acrylic while you are drilling it.

icer711

go slow do not let the bit get very hot or you will have lots of trouble and do not force it take your time

me

Thanks for all of the advice everyone ! I am doing this so I can have reliable drainage on the top 3 tanks of my rack. It probbaly won't be for another couple weeks since funds are ridiculously tight right now, but I will let you all know how it went.

Thanks again !!