Doh! Diamond hole saws ordered on amazon...

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I hate when I order something on Amazon with other things and don't realize it's gonna take forever to ship. So I ordered hole saws on the 26th of July.. I'm like man these are taking forever. Estimated delivery is August 19th to Sept 2nd... Fish room is pretty much at a standstill, now I gotta decide if I buy more somewhere else and have extras or just wait... ugh.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Ended up ordering from another seller on amazon should be here in a couple days. I was gonna need some more anyways with the amount of tanks I'm drilling.

CMooreCichlids

To get the best shipping you'll want to order from sellers that are Fulfilled by Amazon. These items are sent directly from an Amazon warehouse.

Without the Fulfilled by Amazon tag, it could take weeks. I ordered some fakey plants a while back, and didn't realize they were coming from China. I had completely forgot about them, and surprised myself when they arrived in the mail.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I tricked myself because all of the other items were fulfilled by amazon. Only the hole saws weren't and I was in a rush when ordering.

JimmyZ

Good info!
Funny I feel the same way about local brick and mortar fish stores in general around here and buying product from them. Gee you can get food, filters, heaters and what not for quite a bit less on-line. But then Lowes and HD are not quite the same thing I guess. Not that it matters to me, but I hope your customers don't start thinking that way!

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
The internet will always be the cheapest place to buy an item that needs no support and no returns and can wait 2 days to get. I don't for a second think that most things aren't bought online. I price my store to be competitive with online prices as a convenience for them. If I had the option, I would be live goods only.

I know myself I have paid more for an item on amazon than grabbing it at say best buy or staples, because I forget to pick something up and if I order it right at 2am in the morning, it'll be here in 2 days no matter what, so convenience is where my life has taken me.

When it comes to the price of the diamond hole saws. I've bought them as cheap as $4 before. I paid $6 each for a faster delivery, and the ones that are coming from china were $5 each. On Sunday I would have walked into any store that had what I needed and paid $10-$12 each. However I won't pay 10x the price because it's in stock, knowing that I need multiple of the item.

I view all retail stores as a gas station convenience store now. No one stops at a Arco gas station to get the cheapest 20oz soda, they buy it because it's close and it's cold, and it's quick. Otherwise they'd go to a real grocery store and buy 1 for cheaper, or a pack of them for even cheaper.

A fish store is no different. Dry goods are there for convenience. I expect every customer to buy based on convenience.

For me, it is more convenient to wait 2 more days and save $68 dollars, than it is to get those tanks drilled that day. However if my battery goes dead on my car. I'm paying whatever price the store asks so I can get to work as waiting for one in the mail is not as convenient for me.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Not yet, ended up working today cause it was busy. I'm shooting for my next day off Thursday.