Does nobody know how to ship.. Anyone have a Diy on Shipping

Doza

I really love the forum and love some of the fish and stuff ppl bring to this site to offer but it seems nobody knows how to ship or say they dont know so they wont have to worry about it..
Not that anybody would do that right... LOL

So i would assume nobody has shipped before.. or even on that note nobody has ordered livestock online..

I have ordered livestock online but havent shipped myself.. And really it dosent look all that hard..

What a hand warmer if its been really cold out and make sure you dont have the warmer in direct contact with the bag..
A Styrofoam box.. Some sort of stuffing for a gentle ride and a bag.. And depending on the travel time a Bag Buddie(Special bag that releases co2 and brings in oxygen)
I really dont foresee needing a special bag for anything shipping within washingto.. And coming the warm weather might get away without a source or heat depending on the species or what it is.. (fish or plant or snails.. Ect..

Its just hard being on here on the closest thing to a local fish community and still feel so far away..
I cant just jump the fairy every weekend to get stuff.. Its over a 4 hr drive round trip to do so..:cyclops:
I wish i could just come and hang out and :affraid: :cyclops: :twisted: :face: ...
I havent had the luxury as you all to come and meet you all and see your great setups and ideas..
Anyone feel me ??????

sandnuka

i will ship... when my fish start breeding :) ..... its just easier to get quick cash from a local person that can pick up fish and hand over cash that day.... plus dont have to deal with DOA .... cause then there would have to be reimburrsments and all that stuff. :)

and no... you dont need anything special to ship.. just bag really well... put in styrophoam ice igloo.... maybe a hand warmer... and ship it off.... pretty simple.

larry.beck

Hey Doza, I feel ya. There's a small community of us down here in northern Kitsap so we have it a bit easier, but still a long and expensive trip to drive (even using the ferry) to the city.

What do you keep? I have a small boat load of mbuna that around almost big enough to start selling.

Doza

sandnuka said:
i will ship... when my fish start breeding :) ..... its just easier to get quick cash from a local person that can pick up fish and hand over cash that day.... plus dont have to deal with DOA .... cause then there would have to be reimburrsments and all that stuff. :)

and no... you dont need anything special to ship.. just bag really well... put in styrophoam ice igloo.... maybe a hand warmer... and ship it off.... pretty simple.
Thats what i was thinking.. I just find nobody shipping here.. I have paypal so it would not be hard with payment..lol

Doza

right now i have some convicts and Labetropheous fuelleborni... and a trio of albino socolofi as far as cichlids go

sandnuka

I do all africans... and some discus :) ... your guys wouldnt belong in my tanks.... but I can get you some of mine when the breed.... I will remember ya doza, so next time I get some fry I will hit you up and offer you some.... so you dont feel so left out over there across the sound. lol

Doza

sandnuka said:
I do all africans... and some discus :) ... your guys wouldnt belong in my tanks.... but I can get you some of mine when the breed.... I will remember ya doza, so next time I get some fry I will hit you up and offer you some.... so you dont feel so left out over there across the sound. lol
Lol thanks man.. Why would you send me some if they wouldnt work in my tanks..
I am looking at seting up a 90 gallon i just need the coral substrate and i would do it..

I really would like to get a hold of fry from likes fish..His Saulosi

larry.beck

I've been contemplating getting some F1 saulosi to add to my tank as well. I'm just not sure whether I'll want them in with red zebras or not... so many species, so few tanks! *sigh* LOL

sandnuka

I feel ya..... I would always keep an african setup though.... I have a tank for everykind of fish... a soft acidic fish... hard watered high PH fish.... and the community fish tank..... but they are all overstocked at the moment... i really need to get to this garage hatchery plan.... Im expectin a ton of peacocks soon :)

Doza

larry.beck said:
I've been contemplating getting some F1 saulosi to add to my tank as well. I'm just not sure whether I'll want them in with red zebras or not... so many species, so few tanks! *sigh* LOL
Yea i love the color on both the males and females thats what gets me.. If i did saulosi i would do the same.. wild or F1 and do a species only 55 gal or so.. Being they are a smaller cichlid.. or even a 80 Long

larry.beck

You've got a nice collection of tanks there. I've got a 125 (new to me - we set it up last weekend) and a 55 for show tanks, plus 2 10's and a 55 for fry and grow-out. Separately we keep a 6g shell-dweller and my wife has a 10g community tank for when she just needs a break from the aggression. LOL

Doza

larry.beck said:
You've got a nice collection of tanks there. I've got a 125 (new to me - we set it up last weekend) and a 55 for show tanks, plus 2 10's and a 55 for fry and grow-out. Separately we keep a 6g shell-dweller and my wife has a 10g community tank for when she just needs a break from the aggression. LOL
Yes we are getting to the max of what our 2nd storry apartment should allow us to do.. :affraid: ..Lol Right now only the 125 , Two 10 gallons, a 20 Xtall, and a 30 gallon is set up atm...

all the other tanks are sitting dry..:) ive been meaning to build something to hold them all again... Mind you this cutting and building is inside my apartment.. The gf freaks.. all the tools i have is a electric drill and a skills saw..lol I dont even have a level...

sandnuka

Congrats on the new 125gal tank larry! I am tryin to pick up a 100gal this week.... we will see if it works out..... it will replace the 80gal tall.... only way the wife would let me get another tank.... one has to go if i get a new one... :(

Doza

larry.beck said:
Yea congrats... I want all my big tanks to be the 6ft long tanks.. there really is no reason to have 4 footers for most all the fish i have... and they look so nice.. one thing about 125's thats great.. They are long deep and hold more water and shorter than 90 gallons which i find a pain to get my hand to the very bottom.. lol

Ashley

Well I'm not a big fan of shipping. I feel like if it is an expensive fish, I don't want to have to be resopnsible for dead on arrival (DOA) but if it is a cheap fish, I feel like it isn't even worth the hassle. lol

Just my opinion!

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Just wanted to say, I've been doing research on best methods to ship fish. Mostly, because half the time I order from aquabid or something.. I find myself scratching my head, going hmm, it seems like I would have done that totally different and better. A lot of people on aquabid, stick a bunch of fish in a bad and hope for the best. I am actually looking to try shipping soon, just to get it under my belt.

Here is a very good informative link I think.
http://www.aquaboards.com/viewtopic.php?id=7232

Hope this helps, anyone who is looking to ship fish.

hbluehunter

Pretty close to the way i ship.. I've never used those breather bags before. Believe it or not when i've shipped rays i just use the 3mil contractor bags from Home Depot or Lowes, it's hard to find bags big enough to ship a big ray.. :(

Doza

hbluehunter said:
Pretty close to the way i ship.. I've never used those breather bags before. Believe it or not when i've shipped rays i just use the 3mil contractor bags from Home Depot or Lowes, it's hard to find bags big enough to ship a big ray.. :(
\

ROFL.... I can just imagine shoving a ray into a teeny bag... :(

hbluehunter

I HATE shipping rays.. Not only do you have to put a piece of tubing on their stinger :shock: But scooping them out and trying to get them in ANY bag is a chore.. And the whole time trying to not get stabbed.. :suspect:

Doza

hbluehunter said:
I HATE shipping rays.. Not only do you have to put a piece of tubing on their stinger :shock: But scooping them out and trying to get them in ANY bag is a chore.. And the whole time trying to not get stabbed.. :suspect:

That is something i could see somebody say i will not ship... I mean really... what it takes to ship a fish of that size and with that tail..lol..
Is there not that many ppl interested in rays around here..