Does anyone one wanna help me start a 55g saltwater tank?

Ashley17

Does anyone one wanna help me start a 55g saltwater tank?

i wanted to know how to set one up i have a 55g right now with freshwater fish in it that iam looking for home for i really only want a "dory fsh" green spotted puffer and a mating pair of clown fish , i need to know what i need to buy and how much marine salt ect ect :) :alien:

mrsashleyodell

Re: Does anyone one wanna help me start a 55g saltwater tank?

Dory was a Blue Tang and they get to be 1 foot in length. A 55 gallon is way too small for that.

Things you need for a saltwater tank:
- Tank (bigger is better because swings in salinity can kill your fish and coral)
- Stand
- Lighting: you will need a 10,000K bulb and an actinic bulb
- Power heads for each side of the tank
- Filtration: I'm told canister works best, but I just use a hang on back filter with carbon
- Skimmer
- Heater: absolutely important; cannot go without
- Substrate: crushed coral and sand is best because it helps maintain the proper levels of pH and calcium
- Live Rock: approximately 2 pounds per gallon. Try finding people online to buy it from as it's MUCH cheaper
- Salt: once you pick a brand, it's important you stick with it as each brand varies
* Salt water must be mixed outside of the tank, so you'll want a brand new 5 gallon bucket; put an extra heater and power head (or air stone) in the tank to mix the water overnight. RO water will help prevent algae problems. You can usually find it for about 35 cents/gallon in water machines at your local grocery store.
- Hydrometer: this measures salinity and is necessary to make sure the saltwater you mix is the same salinity as the water in your tank
- A saltwater testing kit

mrsashleyodell

Once it's all converted to saltwater, it will go through a cycle. When your nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia read 0 (it took mine about 6 weeks), you can add fish and/or a clean up crew (crabs and snails). Be sure to go slowly because saltwater is less forgiving than fresh. As long as you do your weekly 10-20% water changes with saltwater that has the same parameters as the saltwater in your tank, you'll have a beautiful tank and happy fish.

sidekicking

The most important thing is money SW tanks are definitely not cheap to star up

A

Anonymous

Blue or Hopo tang needs a 180g