dmopars 180 build thread

dmopar74

im finally starting on my second SW tank, converting my 180 to salt.
im bored so im going to post some pics along the way, here we go!

this is my 180 on my diy stand, still gotta finish my canopy one day
swbuild180008.jpg

heres my 40g sump i just finished, and yes i use ceramic tiles in my sumps for baffles as they are very cheap, strong, and easy to work with.
swbuild180001.jpg

my closet(wife gets the walk in closet) that will hold my sump and mixing station will be on the shelf above. the closet is in my bedroom and the tank is on the other side of the wall.
swbuild180007.jpg

glass holes 1500 overflow.
swbuild180006.jpg

80lbs of oolitic sand.
swbuild180004.jpg

couple of future inhabitants!
swbuild180002.jpg

i will update as i progress, hope to get the fw fish out whithin the next couple days and then drill the tank for the overflow...

dmopar74

well today i got all the FW fish and equipment moved out to my shop and running. then came the fun part...

got the 180 ready for the drill...
saltwatertank001.jpg

my ugly mug doin work...
saltwatertank003.jpg

not too shabby, two 2" holes...
saltwatertank012.jpg

overflow done...
saltwatertank013.jpg

next to come, plumbing through the wall.

unconv-reefer

Looks great, is this going to be fish only, I love the snowflake eals. Keep us posted, would like to see your other tank, I probably missed it

dmopar74

unconv-reefer said:
Looks great, is this going to be fish only, I love the snowflake eals. Keep us posted, would like to see your other tank, I probably missed it
yeah fish only, i still need to post my other tank although it is rather plain.
hbluehunter said:
Looking good.. Some day I'll try and salt setup.. I've always wanted some sharks.. :)
im fairly shure this tank will be a shark growout in the future.

dmopar74

got my plumbing done enough to get her goin(still need to add unions). also started mixing up salt in the tank.

nothing spectacular, but its progress!
180sump001.jpg

180sump002.jpg

Adonijah

I could not imagine drilling my glass from the angle. How come you didn't take the tank down and just drill from a easier angle?

Nice build. I'm getting snowflake eels in my 180 next year :D

dmopar74

its alot more work to take the tank down, drill, and then replace. at least to me it is.

as far as updates go...
shark013.jpg

010.jpg

012-1.jpg

009.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

dmopar74

thanks!

as far as stocking goes, i already have the shark, 2 eels, and lion in there. i would like to add a grouper of some sort, and my lfs also has a horn shark i want. i might skip the grouper though and get some colorfull active fish.

my focus is on sharks though, need to start making plans on a much larger setup.

dmopar74

i have a canister full of ceramic and glass media, my ammonia and nitrites are constantly at 0. live rock wasnt even used back in the day and i have word from many shark keepers including one who works at public aquariums that it is not needed.

bio filtration can be achived in many ways other than live rock.