DIY Wood

ledieudufromage

I don't see any DIY wood posts up yet. I've had a bit of success and am working on some more right now. 2 weeks and it still hasn't all sank. I am boiling and pressure cooking the small pieces that did right now.

A

Anonymous

you dont see any cause its not possible to make wood >.> you can cut it down though lol.

Addictedtofish

I had done it also but you end up having to either put some stainless steel on it for about a couple of weeks to sink it or prop other things on it till it does sink. Boiling didnt work for me either, even after 10 hrs of boiling.

IceBerg

What type of wood are you trying to use? I ask this because a lot of wood isn’t suited for use in an aquarium. Even after boiling and soaking the wood tannin levels may still be too high.

A

Anonymous

Some of us are equipped to make our own wood..just sayin.

icer711

use fishing line to tie it down to large rocks wont notice if you get the right fishing line and wait till it becomes water logged... or drill some holes in the wood before boiling it to allow the wood to wick the water and become water logged hope it helps

Gosu

what about big roots? dense as hell and often lighter color than the tree so id imagine less tannin? probably sink without boiling though probably still a good idea

ledieudufromage

Anyone have thoughts on Madrones? A wood working friend of mine says they are hardwood and I don't think they have poisonous sap like cedar.

shua

it works fine we use it dope looking tree

this is how we cured (sessioned wood is a must) bleached for three weeks then salt water for three weeks then removed the bark almost completely then baked on 250 for 5 hours (i watched it the hole time lol)

i might add that this wood is dope due to the color of the wood and the shapes and sizes it comes in... and dont get caught cutting on one of these trees its protected from what i hear

and enjoy the dope wood lol

ledieudufromage

"Aground driftwood, exclusive of logs, piling, poles, and boom sticks, becomes the property of the shore resident subject, of course, to the rights of the real owner."

From a quick search...

shua

but ill take that ish anyways you know no ones going to get pist over a fish tank worthy pice of wood on there property and if they do laugh @ them and tell them to :bounce: on it as you walk away

Jtang

i got rid of the piece of wood in my tank, i was just sick (DURING W-Changes) of taking it out, and then putting it back in while trying to get all the air pockets out. I really didnt want to take it out cause it has a 3 great anubias growing on there and a carpet of moss is starting to fill in.

anyways dont mean to jack the thread but has anyone used drift/beach wood from local rivers? i just want to get a few branches to replace the driftwood i have now.

A

Anonymous

ledieudufromage said:
Anyone have thoughts on Madrones? A wood working friend of mine says they are hardwood and I don't think they have poisonous sap like cedar.
Madrones are fine in the tank. It is very closely related to Manzanita wood.

HALP

seachem's purigen is amazing for removing tanins from the water. Put a bag in an aquaclear hob and tank went from brown to crystal clear over night.

ledieudufromage

HALP said:
seachem's purigen is amazing for removing tanins from the water. Put a bag in an aquaclear hob and tank went from brown to crystal clear over night.
I'll have to look into that. Is it just a visual thing or does it filter out other stuff as well?