DIY - Fish tank stands & canopy?

jeffmit

I am looking for a thread on building a nice stand & canopy (out of maple or oak plywood) for a 125 gallon Aqueon with dual corner overflows (72" L x 18" W). I would like to have room underneath to put a 40 gallon long Sump (48" L x 13" W).

I have seen some nice builds out of 2x4's etc with plywood skin, but I am trying to see if there are any other suggestions from you.

Here is a thread I found and am considering building a stand based on. My only drawback is the 2x lumber takes up so much space and is so heavy, any suggestions on a plywood stand with solid dimensional lumber supports? e.g. solid face with plywood sides and back?

Are there any local stand & canopy builders out there with suggestions???

Happy Easter weekend :)

Thanks in advance!

Gryphon

Its not too hard to find DIY stands and hood plans. Google DIY Aquarium Stands and hoods and you should find something.

On another note, 2x4 Framing with plywood outside works good. I think its after 200g that you need to start looking at using 2x6 instead.

jeffmit

Thank you, I have done a lot of searching. That is how I found the thread I linked above.

I am specifically trying to find a stand that will work without the bulky 2x4 construction. I have seen them in stores made of ~pine~ without the need for 2x4 construction.

Just looking for a tried and true plan :)

A

Anonymous

The 1st diagram in your link is how I built my stand. I used a finished plywood for the skin and capped the top with a finished 1X4. I then put 2 coats of black stain on with a clear varnish finish. The stand I built is now 5 years old and still looks great. I decided to leave the doors off. On the left side I have a 30 gallon sump, right side 30 gallon tank :)

The second plan in your link looks elaborate. Your search for a thinner design will require an elaborate construction plan. 2X4 construction with plywood skin is very sturdy.

Gryphon

Those are probably 2x4 construction with plywood walls with a veneer on the outside to make it look like oak/maple/etc.

Done properly a 2x4 stand has plenty of room inside for sumps, storage and what not. I'm getting to make one for my 40B that will have my sump inside the stand and possibly some shelving if everything fits.

jeffmit

Thank you Gryphon and others. Yes I agree I can do this with 2x4 and a veneer shell.

I am looking for plans using a different method - using plywood and solid dimensional lumber (e.g. Oak or Maple solid)
* I just found Another DIY thread of someone with a similar idea, I will continue searching... This thread's stand is even more basic with plywood only for a smaller tank. I want to build a more durable stand with Plywood and Solid maple or oak s4s hardwood lumber (e.g. 1x4).

Here is an example of the above linked pics of the stand I provided opened up / visible so you can see it is not a typical 2x4 frame.

another view of the same stand on the left side with the doors open

I may end up using 2x4 with a plywood shell, I am just looking to see if someone out there used an alternative method? Still hunting...

Gryphon

I'll post pictures when I do mine here in a couple weeks. I'm just going with a satin black paint instead of a veneer.

My 235 stand uses only vertical plywood for support so essentially the "skin" is holding the tank up and enclosing the bottom, leaving the whole underside open for filters. Hard to explain but I will get pics when I get home. It holds and has been doing fine for quite sometime and there are no 2x4s underneath.

I thought it was wrong as well as I did believe you had to have some type of frame to support the weight then wrapped for aesthetics. Look at most commercial aquarium stands and they are built this way. The aquariums weight is distributed across the four sides pushing down on the plywood which is actually quite strong when the right wood is used. A huge part of the strength also comes from how it is built, a well squared stand with the load support dead on 90* from the ground provides a ton of strength in itself that we often overlook. There are also good supports parralell to the ground that keep the load bearing sides from swaying side to side, keeping the stand quite ridgid. I believe most of us, including myself over engineer things like this all the time as when we do the math on the water weight is seems extreme in our minds, then forget how strong wood actually is when we use the right kind in the right positions.

And for the earthquake factor, I'm with you gryphon, I think about that all the time as two of my tanks are 30" tall. Good stand or not if the right quake comes around its game over.

Gryphon

A good sturdy stand will hold up to the shaking of an earthquake. And using earthquake straps will help keep a top heavy tank from falling.

Really it all comes down to personal preference. I'd sleep a lot easier knowing there was more than plywood holding up my tank.

Gryphon said:
A good sturdy stand will hold up to the shaking of an earthquake. And using earthquake straps will help keep a top heavy tank from falling.

Really it all comes down to personal preference. I'd sleep a lot easier knowing there was more than plywood holding up my tank.
I have to agree with that. After all it is your house and wallet that is put at risk! I have just switched my way of designing and building stuff for my tanks with more engineering involved than simply over doing everything for peace of mind in the last couple years after becoming a machinist.