DIY ADA Nature Design Planted Nano

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
No water change yet, but will be today. It's stays in place well when I filled it. I just use a larger yogurt container to fill and remove water. :)

hose91

Is this tank where the little driftwood "trees" are going to go? They should look very cool along with the green tetra's! Love to see an update on the plant growth if you've got one. I like what you're doing with this tank.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
One of the trees is going in here and one in my mom's tank. :) No updates yet. Will definitely iteky post some new pics when I get my other plant shipment next week and plant it some more. I am on the hunt for some dwarf four leaf clover to put under the tree like a little field now :)

hose91

Ah, nice! I'm such a plant newbie still. Definitely climbing the learning curve, but there have been a few fatalities thus far. Looking forward to seeing the end product!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I'm a newbie too. Just since about February or March. I just kind of jumped in. I did one tank and started at that with brackish waters lol. Then I converted 3 other tanks now with plants. I'm just kind of jumping in head first lol :) Sink or swim right?? ;)

cichlid-gal

Primary colors...those will look really nice together...LOL. No really, nice stocking. I don't know much about shrimp but I have a tank and stand just waiting for us to be done with all our travel/vacation stuff that's targeted for shrimp. Can't wait to see everything setup and going. Looking good so far.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I wanted to do Scarlet Badis. After talking things over with a sales rep from WetSpot we came up with the rainbows and either blue neon rasbora or the neon green tetra. She said the tetras would pop more color in the brighter light but if I added floating plants the rasbora would have better colors. I'm not a fan of floating plants so that left me with one option. There will be about 12 fish, 6 of each maybe 5 of each and then I'm thinking 5-6 shrimp. The rep suggested the amounts for the tank size. I'm excited to see all these colors pop in the tank!

hose91

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
I'm a newbie too. Just since about February or March. I just kind of jumped in. I did one tank and started at that with brackish waters lol. Then I converted 3 other tanks now with plants. I'm just kind of jumping in head first lol :) Sink or swim right?? ;)
Hah, absolutely! I have no plants in my Mbuna tank, but joined GSAS and went to my first meeting/auction in June. I'd been wanting to try plants, and sorta got carried away by the auction. There was a LOT of stuff, and the auction setup is pretty slick. So...I brought home a ton of plants with no tank to put them in, except for the 10G I bought...at the auction  :lol

Now I've got 4 tanks going, plants in three of them. It's a challenge, but a fun one. I really do love the variety of things you can do in this hobby. Should have started years ago...

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I have had fish for as long as I remember. I got my first one in second grade, 19 years ago, oh man. My mom cared for the fish until I got old enough. It was a comet goldfish I won at the school carnival. It lived until my senior year and was about 5.5" when she died. She laid eggs all over the tank about 2 weeks prior to passing. I knew what to expect after all the eggs, I was in my second year of natural resources and we had raised salmon fry. I kept tropical fish after that other than some lion head goldfish. When my favorite one of those passed I didn't get anymore. I just recently started the venture into planted and a brackish tank in the last year. I'm considering discus as my next big jump. My boyfriend wants me to do salt water though. :)

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Okay, so after vacation the tank didn't do so well. I junked a few plants changed some things and ideas around and re-planted/scaped last night. So far I plan on it sticking this way with adding dwarf four leaf clover and the moss "tree." Then it should be ready soon for fish.

Here is the update:

A

Anonymous

:spoton: - Very nice set up. I can't wait for updated pictures in a month or so.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I couldn't wait to use my new light for the 20 so I set it up over this one. Due to Lack of space right now the nano was already sitting inside the empty 20. So worked well, however I am starting to notice brown algae in a few spots on glass and some on the gravel. I am going to dull it down and see how it goes

I don't know why, but I keep imagining one of those sides being ALL stargrass. LOL... could you imagine... =P

When done right though, it does look pretty neat. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. The Stargrass is on the left side (not mine)