Discus keeps missing his food

thecarl

I have a strange problem, I'm not really sure if it's actually a disease or not but this looked like the best section to post this in. One of my discus has been struggling to eat since I got him, as a result he's very small. He wants to eat and tries to eat all the time. The issue seems to be he keeps biting at the food but just barely missing it or blowing it away with his breath. He gets lucky about 2 or 3 bites worth per feeding and misses everything else. Is this something anyone else has had happen to a fish? All my other discus and fish are eating just fine without trouble, leading me to believe what ever the problem is, it's not contagious or a real disease but more a defect maybe?

swamp-rat

There are just some cautious eaters in the discus world. This behavior is pretty normal in the wild. I have a couple like that in my tanks. You just have to keep basically overfeeding so everyone else is full, leaving leftovers for your slow eater. Also keep in mind they are used to getting multiple small meals throughout the day.