discus breeding

sandnuka

Anyone have any special tech that sets off breedin with discus...... with the fronts I used to breed I would do a very large water change... like 40% and move around all the rocks/caves/decor...... worked like a charm.... I am assuming for my tropheus i will try the same thing.... but when I tried with the discus no reaction, they just got scared and hid from me for a couple days. lol

Maybe raising or lowerin temp?? anyone have anything that sparks the flame?

Addictedtofish

All I did was did 20% water changes each week, My opinion you need to just leave the decor the same way and let them get use to your tank when there ready, there ready. Moving stuff around and the fish from tank to tank since will only keep them skittish, just give them time they have been through many changes in a short period of time.

sandnuka

Ok, here is what Ive done.... decided to move the two discus I believed to be most friendly with eachother into there own tank.... today is day 2, they are hanging around anything vertical in the tank, I got some bog log in there for them, and a tall pot... got my fingers crossed! will keep you all updated.

Water is at 6.8PH, moderate soft, 5ppm nitrate, 0 nitrite, 86 degrees.

Discus213

sandnuka said:
Ok, here is what Ive done.... decided to move the two discus I believed to be most friendly with eachother into there own tank.... today is day 2, they are hanging around anything vertical in the tank, I got some bog log in there for them, and a tall pot... got my fingers crossed! will keep you all updated.

Water is at 6.8PH, moderate soft, 5ppm nitrate, 0 nitrite, 86 degrees.
Hey Joe, I'd drop ur temp to 82 and try live foods. I don't worry much about ph as long as it's stable. IMO

sandnuka

hal- I gave up! lol... actually a few days ago I acquired another small amazon... cocatoides (think I showed you, the one of the crazy mohawk fin).... So the discus got moved back to the community discus tank, and they got the breeder for now.... I need more tanks! I really like your stand with the dual 20gal tanks side by side on each row.

Anyway, thank you so much for the info! This is why I wanted you to join the sight, we need more Discus people to help out...... they are not an easy fish to breed.

I never tried lowerin the temp, I heard rumors that discus have a big problem with Hexima (fungal disease), and it dies out at 84 degrees, so I try to keep the temp above that.... but I imagine a drop for a short time would be fine.... I tried lowerin the PH once with API PH DECREASER, but my KH is so low what happend was a HUGE drop, and They started lookin very stressed, so i buffered it back up reall quick with bakin soda.